It was going so well for the Bears, until last year’s Pac-10 Freshman of the Year, guard Alexis Gray-Lawson saw her season come to an end last weekend in Kansas (the San Francisco Chronicle report “here”:http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/12/13/sports/s170940S69.DTL).

The torn knee ligaments will sideline the best of players, no matter how gutsy he or she is.

And while Gray-Lawson has seen her points production drop as low as many of your GPAs after your finals this week, what Cal is losing is leadership skills and someone who can handle the ball and not have a Marshawn Lynch-esque fumble. (Yes, we’re still doggin’ Marshawn.)

The Bears will most likely hand the reigns to the offense over to freshman Natasha Vital.

It will be vitally important for Vital to make sure she continues to get the ball into Ashley Walker and Devanei Hampton down low.

Luckily for Vital, AGL wasn’t having that great of a scoring season, so she won’t feel any added pressure in trying to make up points loss. But what she can’t do is turn the ball over.

Do that, and Cal’s chances of making the Tournament for the second year in a row are gone as fast as that 4.0 GPA you were all looking for this semester.

Posted in: Sandbox
Comments (0)
Print This Post Print This Post