Usually when walking down Shattuck we try to walk as quickly as possible, zig-zagging between homeless people and slow walkers. We pass the sketchy businesses and empty store fronts.

But now the Chron gives us cause to stop. It claims the Shattuck Down Low is a happening place for the East Bay. Who knew this treasure was in our backyard?

The pics show a couple in an oversized chair trying to dig the tongue out of the other person’s throat. Maybe we’re partial, but it’d be a lot hotter if they were covered in newspaper and looked under 30.

The music varies from day to day, featuring salsa Wednesdays, hip hop, Brazillian parties, reggae, touring performers, and karaoke Tuesdays.

bq. In classic Berkeley fashion, the Down Low puts people before profit. “If we really didn’t care about the integrity of the music, we could just have DJs and probably make more money,” Martinez says.

Putting their money where their mouth is, your Cal ID waives the cover charge on most nights. The owner says students make up 25-30% of the clientle.

It’s hopping at Berkeley’s Down Low. Who needs San Francisco? [SF Gate]
Events Calendar [Shattuck Down Low]

Henry said:

Of course, the DL is owned by the Reddy family — they are the family who was brining in young Indian girls for forced sex and labor in Berkeley. The family members went to jail for their misdeeds after one young girl, who was pregnant by the Reddy family leader, died of a faulty heater in one of their apts and they tried to cover it up.

Nathan said:

Henry, can you provide any proof for your claim?

Katharine said:

I think the DL is uber creepy. A Cal student was drugged and raped in the bathroom.
http://police.berkeley.edu/crimealerts/2006/06-093006-87NC.html