There are many, many things that the Bears and the Indians don’t agree on. But it looks like Cal and Stanford are going to have to team up to stop a common enemey.

Tom FitzGerald of the Chron is reporting that the 32-headed demon that is the National Football League is trying to officially trademark the “Big Game” moniker.

Wait, you say that’s ridiculous right? The Big Game is older than the NFL. Its tradition surpasses any of those that the pros have, right?

bq. “This filing was done in regard to companies that have attempted an end-run around the term ‘Super Bowl,’ ” said Brian McCarthy, the NFL’s director of corporate communications. “So this would not affect the college game that’s played in the fall. It would affect somebody who was trying to intimate a relationship with the NFL or the Super Bowl. They’re trying to draft off the goodwill we’ve built up over the years.”

So we’re not supposed to be scared if the NFL tries to pick-pocket our rivalry’s most well-known event? The League is only trying to trademark the “Big Game” name for its football game in February.

Either way, both Cal and Stanford are looking into actions in trying to protect the “Big Game’s” name and rightfully so. We wouldn’t want the NFL, or anybody else for that matter, to steal something so cherished.

NFL marketers want ‘Big Game’ trademark [SF Gate]

Nathan said:

Boo on the NFL