No words can do justice for those who lost their lives today on the campus of Virginia Tech. A shooting paralyzed the university this morning starting at 7:15 a.m.

At the end of the day, the gunman and 32 people were killed with 15 others injured, before committing suicide himself to end what became the deadliest shooting in United States history.

The Clog and the Daily Cal are saddened upon hearing this news and joins students, families, friends, and others across the country in mourning.

Currently, there are hundreds of Facebook groups that have popped up devoted to honoring the memory of those who lost their lives today, with well over 100,000 members combined. One of those groups has more than 88,000 members and 7,000 wall posts with students expressing their support to the families and friends of the victims.

Some Berkeley students held a vigil this evening at the base of the Campanile, though we don’t know for sure how many people attended it. There will be another tonight at 9 p.m. on Upper Sproul Plaza.

UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau also expressed his sadness to the campus community earlier today, via e-mail:

We are deeply shocked and saddened by the terrible tragedy in Virginia, whose scope and senselessness lie beyond the power of mere words to describe.

This afternoon, on behalf of our university, I sent a letter of condolence and support to the president of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Charles Steger, and his entire campus community.

He also announced that the Tang Center will be providing counseling services for those students and staff members.

UC President Robert Dynes, in a statement released today, said:

All of our campuses will be reviewing again their safety programs and procedures in light of today’s events, and as we learn more about the specific circumstances of the Virginia Tech shootings, we will apply those lessons as well.

While reviewing these procedures is a must after today, there is only so much a university can do.

Today’s events reminds us of a clip of a speech that Robert Kennedy gave that we listened to in class. He said two months before his assassination:

“Whenever any American’s life is taken by another American unnecessarily – whether it is done in the name of the law or in the defiance of law, by one man or a gang, in cold blood or in passion, in an attack of violence or in response to violence – whenever we tear at the fabric of life which another man has painfully and clumsily woven for himself and his children, the whole nation is degraded.”

If you’d like to share your thoughts, you may leave a comment below, e-mail the news editors at [email protected] or write a letter to the Daily Cal editor at [email protected].

Some Stories From Today
* Gunman Kills 32 in Virginia Tech Rampage [SF Gate]
* Across nation, campus police review security measures [LA Times]
* Questions raised about Virginia Tech security [MSNBC]
* Message from Chancellor Birgeneau on Virginia Tech shootings [Newscenter]
* Dynes Statement [UCOP]

Cyndy Cartmill said:

Every story I read of that talks about V Tech still makes me sad. It’s a horrible shame what happened to those children. We pray their families are well and that the lord is protecting them.