We usually don’t comment on the pro sports world, but a local event of this magnitude has to at least be acknowledged by the Clog. The Golden State Warriors’ 13 year long curse is finally over. The team’s infamous playoff drought ended Wednesday night with a victory over the thankfully feeble Portland Trail Blazers.

In case you’re a Southside denizen who was shocked by that horn honking and yelling last evening, rest assured that it probably just had something to do with the local team’s success. Oh, who are we kidding? If you live on Southside, you probably didn’t think anything of horns honking and drunk people screaming. And it probably had nothing to do with the game.

Get ready for insufferable Warriors bandwagon trendiness. It’s bad enough when those retro “The City” jerseys were threatening to become a Telegraph Avenue epidemic a month ago. Now that GS state’s actually won something, you might be blinded while walking to section by the sun’s reflection on a crowd of puke yellow thread sporters.

Who can blame the fair-weather trendies, though? Retro sports apparel is undeniably sick. Even the Jewish News Weekly loves the uniforms—in part because they believe that the emblem looks a bit like a Torah scroll. We are not making that one up. Perhaps they’d appreciate the team’s coming to maturity after 13 years more than anybody. Mazel tov, Warriors, mazel tov.

Ben K said:

yeah wardogs!

Jim Fung said:

Who cares about basketball? Go Sharks!

Joe Eskenazi said:

Look lad —

You’re obviously not from Oakland and probably haven’t been shackled with the Warriors for very long.

First off, the “City” jerseys have always brought a feeling of bliss to Warriors fans. So they’ve become trendy. Does that mean I should hate them now?

Second, you were probably sitting in your own shit the last time the Warriors made the playoffs.

And your term, “curse” is not apropos. Golden State missed the playoffs year in, year out because it was a horrific basketball team. There was no need to resort to supernatural explanations.

This team reminds me a lot of the Run-TMC squads that averaged — averaged — 119.5 points per game. It’s a wonderful wave of nostalgia and I’m really enjoying this.

Yours,

JE

Joe Eskenazi said:

I realize that last post sounds a bit sour.

I’m just enjoying the moment. Perhaps a bit too much.

anon said:

“curse” was also the term j-rich and baron used after the blazers game to describe the drought, fyi.

Stephen Jackson said:

Yo man, d’ya see me go off for 31 points? hell yea!

Pablo said:

I really enjoy watching warriors this year. Excellent that they made the playoff! Go Warriors!

matt J said:

its alllll about the warriors baby. make me rich baby make me riiiiiiiiiich!!!