Friday night, Berkeley’s Critical Mass was more than just a bunch of hippies on bikes. The Chronicle reports “an angry confrontation” between cyclists and a man driving a mini-van.

The cyclists claim the driver tried to run some of them over, but Berkeley police say that

bq. There’s nothing to suggest in the report or documentation thus far that the driver intentionally or had an intent to hit anybody…The driver and his wife, both of them were very confused and, in their words, feared for their safety being encircled by this group, who they characterized as being quite aggressive and angry.

So far, it’s unclear exactly what went on and who’s at fault. Watch the video and you’ll notice some crafty editing: We don’t actually see how the bikes and the mini-van first made contact.

At one moment, an angry cyclist confronts the driver’s wife. “We’re victims of you. We are victims of you, ma’am,” he says.

And we at the Clog are victims. Victims of “Eye of the Tiger.” We can’t believe they seriously blasted that song as they biked around.

Look out for the Daily Cal’s scoop on Thursday.

Cyclist, motorists clash in Berkeley Critical Mass [SF Chronicle]
Motorist Violence at Berkeley Critical Mass (May 11, 2007) [YouTube]

Rider said:
May 17, 2007 at 9:09 am

Despite the crafy editing attempt by Jason Meggs, who shot the vid, it’s clear that the Van is sitting, stationary, with no bikes under the wheels at the beginning of the vid.
This group, lead by Meggs, eventually climbed on the hood of the van and kicked in the windshield, shatting it. Of course, Meggs edited this out of the vid before he started doing media interviews claiming the van ‘careened across the intersection’ and ‘plowed into the cyclists’.
This is just a pathetic cry for help for Mr. Meggs, and a reprehensible attack on two elderly people. Time for the PD to start prosecuting idiots who attack cars while blocking the street with their bikes.

Anonymous said:

This comment has been deleted due to offensive content.

Jason Meggs said:
Jun 16, 2007 at 6:20 pm

Hi,

I didn’t edit the video, and I didn’t choose Eye of the Tiger, and nobody knew the peoples’ age (which isn’t that old, kids). People reacted to their actions, which are unacceptable at any age.

There’s been a lot of suspicious misrepresentation about this incident, which I happened to document part of. The Bicycle Civil Liberties Union, which I participate in, has a list of replies to various claims of the anonymous postings. Check the “quick facts” link at http://www.bclu.org/20070511/ where you can also find a more clear video of what happened. Thanks!

(By the way, I’m told that research indiciates that people who make claims that others are closeted homosexuals should really look in the mirror. Best wishes in your quest for self-acceptance.)

Anonymous said:
Jun 18, 2007 at 1:56 pm

John Beef said:
Jun 18, 2007 at 2:37 pm

BCLU?

Bicycles do not have civil liberties.

At first I thought maybe it was a fluke that y’all came off as retards in your video but naming your club BCLU shows how intellectually challenged you people really are.

MondegreenMom said:
Jun 27, 2007 at 3:54 pm

I can add two pieces of information to this discussion, having followed it for a month on YouTube. One is that Jason Meggs is so dedicated to his position that his facts are suspect. He means well, but has lost creedance as a spokesperson for this or any group. I too recommend his “Quick Facts” on BCLU.org – but remember that they are written by him and mostly just restate opinions he has expressed other places. He has also suppressed discussion on YouTube by removing or failing to approve comments to his videos that are not favorable to his position.

Two – the use of “Kids” above, and “kiddos” in other places is a “tell” for Jason. It indicates that what he is saying is either untrue or intended to manipulate public opinion (see his address to the crying children on his original video, among others).

The comment about closeted homosexuals and acceptance was pretty clever, though. Jason seems to do well when not obsessed with the topic of bikes vs. cars.

Jason Meggs said:
Jul 7, 2007 at 6:14 pm

I didn’t choose Eye of the Tiger and I’m told that research indiciates that people who make claims that others are closeted homosexuals should really look in the mirror.