With the talk of the imminent razing of Warren Hall we figured we should take a look at some of the other perpetual construction on campus. If you’ve been completely ignoring anything north of the Doe Library for the past few weeks (we’re looking at you, Unit-2 denizens) you may not have noticed the removal of some of the scaffolding around the Chang-Lin Tien Center for East Asian Studies.

Now, we here at the Clog know that you hate to make any decision without having our entirely objective, concrete research to back up your opinion, so here you go. Our long nights of deep contemplation (see: drinking) and consultations with head architects (see: our drunk roommates) have given us the perfect tool to help you decide how you should feel about the aesthetic qualities of the Chang-Lin Tien center: the inestimable subjective rating system.

The obvious stand-out of the building is the metal grate that dominates much of the southern wall. It’s bright, it’s oddly patterned, it puts off a hell of a glare any time between 10 and 6 and it’s more than a little gaudy. Now don’t get us wrong, we love shiny things as much as the next guy, but this just seems to be overdoing it slightly.

Aesthetic quality of the Chang-Lin Tien Center: 3 out of 10.
Aesthetic quality of the Chang-Lin Tien Center (without the grating): 4 out of 10.

For comparison, it’s not as frustratingly confusing as the Hargrove Music Library. Seriously, it has fish scales. Why does it have fish scales? No one knows. But it does. And they’re ugly.

Aesthetic quality of the Hargrove Music Library: 2 out of 10.

Of course, we don’t think leaving a building to sit like a behemoth, nondescript but for its ominous size, is that good a move either. Just take Evans Hall, a building which can seemingly block out the sun from anywhere on campus.

Aesthetic quality of Evans Hall: 3 out of 10.

And to top it off, we’ll invoke the most notorious site on campus. No, we’re not talking about the UCPD station in Sproul Hall, we’re talking about the atrocious eyesore that is Wurster Hall. Now, we’ve all heard how it’s an extremely efficient building, but let’s face it–it’s horrendous. It’s ugly. It may have made one student gouge out his own eyes (at least that’s what some homeless guy said). We’d post a picture, but it would just feel too cruel.

Aesthetic quality of Wurster Hall: -4 out of 10.