Well it looks like the city of Berkeley and those guys sitting in the trees are winning, kind of.

The Chron reports that Cal is going to alter some of its development plans for Memorial Stadium in an attempt to try to avoid going to court with the city of Berkeley, the California Oak Foundation and the Panoramic Hill
Neighborhood Association. The court date has been set for Sept. 19.

Among the areas to be adjusted in this new proposal include the number of parking spots in a new garage scheduled for construction next to the stadium and the addition of full-grown oak trees to replace the ones that the university plans to take down.

bq. Cal Athletic Director Sandy Barbour said the university would reduce the size of the proposed parking garage so that there would be no more spaces than are currently in the area. UC also would plant one fully grown tree and two younger trees for each one that would be chopped down to make way for a new, $125 million athletic training facility.

To us, this looks like the university is trying to find a compromise, albeit a small one. Hopefully the city will want to compromise too. And then Cal can have its new stadium renovations and the Treewoks can finally come out of those trees.

But right now, it doesn’t look like it.

bq. Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates said 500 parking spaces is still too many, and the training center should be moved elsewhere. “I’d be OK with 50 spots next to the stadium for coaches and a few others,” he said. “The rest of them can get physical excerise like the rest of us.”

Earlier: Five Months Later and Everything’s on Shaky Ground Again

UC Berkeley to scale back Memorial Stadium plans [SF Gate]