In college football hype is everything, and in college, video games are everything—almost. What do you get when you mix the two? How about EA Sports’ NCAA Football 08?

While it’s not a cultural icon like EA Sports NFL franchise, Madden, it still gives us some insight into the world of college football.

What insight? How about rankings? We all like preseason rankings—even if it is a video game company doing the rankings.

As it turns out, Cal is only one of three Pac-10 teams in the top 25. EA Sports gave the Bears a No. 16 ranking. OK, so it’s not as high as Athlon Sports’ rankings (which we think may be a little high), but at least Cal’s getting some love.

As Gamespot.com put it:

If it weren’t for those pesky Trojans, Cal fans would be in the midst of an in-conference renaissance practically unheard of in the history of the program. Coach Jeff Tedford led his team to a share of the Pac-10 title last year, thanks in part to UCLA’s late-season defeat of USC; it’s just another chapter in the team’s revival of fortunes, one that has seen the team go from an also-ran in the conference to a yearly contender. 2006 didn’t get off to the greatest of starts, as the Golden Bears made the trip to Knoxville and got stomped by Tennessee; this year they’ll be looking at the Volunteers with revenge on their minds, as the teams play the rematch in Berkeley. Should they win that game, and manage to beat in-conference opponents like Oregon and UCLA on the road, the looming November 10 home showdown against national-title favorite USC will be perhaps the biggest game ever played at Memorial Stadium.

How true. After years of wallowing in USC’s shadow, and of being a real bad football team, Bears fans forget that we’re in the middle of the resurrection of this football team. If Pete Carroll and the Trojans weren’t in Cal’s way, then maybe the Bears could have been in the Rose Bowl in 2004 and last year.

But we do have a few more questions about the rankings. Yes, USC is No. 1. There’s no dispute to that, but Michigan as No. 2?! Didn’t the Trojans embarrass Big Blue in the Rose Bowl earlier this year?

Also, we don’t mind that UCLA is the only other team from the Pac-10 in the top 25. They did return pretty much their whole team from last year, but remember this—the Bruins went 7-6 last year. We don’t think that’s good enough for a No. 19 ranking.

And who the hell picked Jared Zabransky as the cover boy? Sure Boise State was a great story last year, but there had to be someone better than Jared Zabransky to put on the cover.

NCAA 08 Top 25 [Gamespot]

Posted in: Sports
Tags:, ,
Comments (4)
Print This Post Print This Post

anappleaday said:
Jul 15, 2007 at 9:20 am

some nerd put this EA Sports NCAA 08 top25 compilation set to Naughty by Nature. http://youtube.com/watch?v=tlhXQEhfiXU

Thoms DeCoud has a 93 rating? I hope that’s the case in real life.

Sheldon Marler said:

Been looking for some good comment suggestions for a while now. This is perfect!

Hi there, I found your site by the use of Google whilst looking for a related topic, your website got here up, it seems great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Suanne Bestine said:

Watching the games live online needs to be more straightforward for us fans. Anyone know of a alternate method?