The future of the Nuclear-Free-Vegan-Save-the-Trees Zone is grim, pending the results of tomorrow morning’s court hearing. Tomorrow the university seeks court-ordered removal of the tree-sitters.Last week, UC failed to reach a settlement with the city of Berkeley, so now it appears the university will resort to more draconian measures: kicking people off their property.Frankly, the shallow-rooted trees are coming down in The Big One anyway. Whether we build something half a mile from or something directly on the Hayward Fault probably won’t make too much of a difference.But in the grand principle of things, we suppose the protesters have every Free Speech Rah-Rah right to join the ranks of Those Who Hate the University for basically telling the protesters “Hey, you’re shitting all over our lawn.”Though, to be fair, they basically are.Our pick among Zachary RunningWolf’s many words were these, as summarized by the Daily Cal:bq. RunningWolf thinks the university’s goal is to quickly remove the tree-sitters.How accurate, since it’s only been oh, ten months since they set up camp, cut the tops off some trees, refused compromise and got arrested.We wondered when the university would shut this thing down, but then we remembered that it’s the University of California, where everything takes ten years (or months) longer than it has to.Image Source: Ted Kwong, Daily CalUniversity to Seek Court Order to Remove Tree-Sitters [Daily Cal]

Terri said:
Sep 12, 2007 at 8:42 am

If they really cared about the environment, they wouldn’t throw poo from trees. After all, in an urban environment, cleanliness matters. No one wants to smell your poo.

uh said:

dumbass, they weren’t throwing the poo from the trees before. the cops put up the fence, chased off the ground support people, and wont let the sitters move around, so the tree hippies don’t really have another option.

um. said:

they were doing that well before the fence was put up.

uh said:

Sources, please? If they were really tossing their shit down into the midst of their support crew, that is pretty gross. Which is why it sounds unlikely to me.

k_radsurferboi86~*~* said:

Unlikely? Right, because hippies eschewing hygiene has no empirical grounding.

They have to be doing something with their excrement, and seeing that they apparently do expel feces and not winged horses who fly on rainbows to deliver digested food to the Berkeley Sanitation Deparment, it’s going in a bottle and into the open arms of gravity.

um said:

another brain surgeon.

lets say, hypothetically, that i am a hippy sitting at the base of a tree passing food up a rope. the way i see it, my tree hippy friends are going to lower their shit on the same rope, rather than tossing it down onto my head on “the open arms of gravity”.

so unless hippies are freaking insane (which im not ruling out, mind you, im just asking you hippy haters for evidence as opposed to conjecture) then my next step is to take the shit and dispose of it somewhere (the garbage maybe?) that is not the floor of the oak grove that i am sitting on playing my drum.

k_radsurferboi86~*~* said:

I believe the evidence comes from SHIT SITTING OUT IN THE OPEN.

Tom said:

Ahh the sweet song of freedom.
I was a student of the University of Tennesse @ Knoxville during the mid to late 80’s. As you all might remember it was the time of the Reagonites rise to power. A time when conformity and greed was in and individualism was out. Deja vu?
The university decided to ban smoking in a cafeteria (1 of 2)that had allowed it. This in it’s self was not alarming, rather, it was the fact that …. No one spoke out against the ban. No voice was heard… not even a whimper.
One of the basic rights our founding fathers gave us was the right to have a voice and when many of these voices come together they make a song.. a song that is heard around the world and speaks of something that most do not have… freedom.
I am sure people in countries like China, Iran and North Korea (who said slavery was a thing of the past?) would love to have this joy of song.
My hat’s off to the fine people of Berkley for reminding the rest of us it is still legal to have a public disagreement.

Tom

P.S. Congrats on that fine game you had against us and good luck in your hunt for the national title. You have my vote :-)

berkeley students said:

I heard that they were flinging it at cops even before the fence was put up. When a police officer approached, the “ground crew” would scatter and the people in the trees would start tossing handfuls of crap at the poor officer.

DK said:

I got an excellent proposal for how to solve this problem. I aint gonna say shit cause the Daily Cal will steal my ideas!

SNIPER said:

The police should SNIPE all these HIPPY FUCKS! BETTER OFF DEAD I SAY.

forum profile creator said:

I’d ought to verify with you here. Which isn’t something I often do! I enjoy studying a publish that can make individuals think. Also, thanks for permitting me to remark!

car mats said:

I’m not a driven businessman, but a driven artist. I never think about money. Beautiful things make money. …

This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks!…

Cassy Doersam said:

Hey!
I’m extremely amusedby your great blog Will definitely come back to your blog again.
Lord bless yahoo for pointing me here.

car roof rack said:

I like the {valuable|helpful} {information|info} you provide in your articles. {I will|I’ll} bookmark your {weblog|blog} and check again here {frequently|regularly}. {I am|I’m} quite {certain|sure} {I will|I’ll} learn {lots of|many|a lot of|plenty o…

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure….