Has The Man got you down these days? Can’t wear skirts on planes, can’t hang out in the library, can’t drive around quickly and can’t even ask tough questions of a United States senator.

University of Florida student Andrew Meyer was tasered and arrested Monday during a forum featuring U.S. Senator John Kerry, outraging a number of liberals and conservatives alike.

It seems that, in light of UCLA’s taser incident almost a year ago, the UCLA Taser Awards might be given a run for their money by their Floridian counterparts.

Still, it didn’t take long for Facebook groups to pop up advocating and denouncing Meyers’ markedly loud exit from the lecture hall.

We get the impression this guy likes to rock the boat just to be contrary, but that doesn’t mean his actions as a practical joker were unjustified, unfunny or “inciting a riot,” like when the Associated Press reported:

Meyer, a senior telecommunications major from the Fort Lauderdale suburb of Weston, has a Web site featuring several homemade videos. In one, he stands in a street with a sign that says “Harry Dies” after the latest Harry Potter book was released.

Sen. John Kerry seemed to be erring on the politically correct side when he commented on the utopian principles of law enforcement doing only what was necessary, but maybe the stage lights made it a bit hard for him to see the commotion of five university police officers bearing down on some dude at a forum with a notably sparse audience.

Maybe the University of Florida police were a little preemptive in quelling the “riot,” but at least we have something here to riot about besides free speech.

Student Arrested, Tasered at Kerry Event [Associated Press]

totally said:
Sep 19, 2007 at 2:08 am

this is fucking stupid. another example of college kids looking like idiots. the dude resisted arrest. THERE ARE REAL CASES OF POLICE BRUTALITY AND AS LONG AS SHIT LIKE THIS IS CONSIDERED BRUTALITY THE REAL CASES WILL NOT GET THE ATTENTION THEY DESERVE!

P.s. the UCLA one was bs too.

Avinash said:
Sep 19, 2007 at 2:35 am

I’m exasperated by the amount of attention these tasering stunts get. “I’m a student! Give me attention! I want to shriek like a little girl and make people feel sorry for me!” Fool.

k_radsurferboi86~*~* said:

The police are only supposed to Tase people who are successfully resisting arrest. In each of these cases, the student in question was already in handcuffs, and thus the 5-0 were overstepping their bounds and enacting senseless suffering upon subdued individuals.

Eddy said:

Let’s not break into a discussion of the merits of tasering while in handcuffs. In this case, the student was NOT in handcuffs already. He was resisting arrest and from some reports flailing his arms at policemen (which is definitely not punching, but still a physical threat).

He was acting like an idiot on purpose which does not justify getting tased, BUT resisting arrest and fighting officers was.

Sean said:

resisting arrest or not, he shouldnt have been arrested in the first place. all he did was ask a question. last time i checked that is not a crime.

House of M said:
Sep 26, 2007 at 1:23 am

Fact: he was NOT initially arrested. After bum rushing the stage (in a state where it’s incredibly easy to attain a license to conceal), refusing to hand over the mic after his time was up, he was led away.

THEN he tried running away, smacking at the cops and shit, and thus posing a threat.

THEN he was put down onto the ground, without handcuffs…and refused to roll over onto his stomach for said cuffs, which is resisting arrest.

The first amendment is relevant. Andrew Meyer is not.