It seemed Cal was trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. And it was a harrowing experience. Dixon’s last two downfield marches were like Chinese water torture. Actually, due to our Post Traumatic Oregon Losses Disorder (PTOLD), they were probably worse than Chinese water torture. The bitter Eugene defeat has been an annual rite of passage for Cal football fans. The feeling of seeing yet another game slip towards that awful conclusion ceased seeming surreal years ago.

But, thankgodfully it’s all over. No more curse, just the joy of watching us leapfrog all those other upset-foiled teams. The Clog emphatically shouts, “Woo-hoo!”

And here our profound thoughts:

• This was a game of odd names. Consider that we had two Dixons (one spelled “Dickson”), a Syria, a Jon Stewart and an Alex Mack.And the best part? The game was reffed by (you can already hear us snickering) Jack Wood. Hmm, how much wood could a Jack Wood jack, if a Jack Wood could jack our victory by not overruling that horrible field goal call? We’ll let David Romer figure that one out.
  • Though we often complain about Nate Longshore, we hope he’s healthy. That involuntary pilates was pretty gruesome.
  • DeSean was absolutely brilliant (Thank God we boldly unbolded his name!). Not much to say about numero uno in this space, other than the usual superlative blah blah, Heisman blah, blur of light blah blah, name our kids after him blah blah, etc.
  • Forsett played an underrated role in this one. DeSean’s already receiving a heap of ESPatteNtion for his amazing performance. This overshadows Forsett’s yeoman work. JFo had many Tomlinson-like plays in that second half. And his player introductions speech was also very amusing.
  • Memo to ESPN/ABC/Mysterious Corporate Evil Megastructure: The duck stuff just isn’t funny. Please, stop. If you want to create a show about mascots, simply slot it after that ultra-pimped Geico cavemen program. Don’t interrupt our football game with a lame network exec’s idea of comedy.
  • Dixon wasn’t terrible. This is an edit (we initially spoke ill of the Dix). Hey, when you’re wrong, you’re wrong. The man did have some really bad overthrows though …
  • Unfortunately, our defense looked a lot like our defense for those last two drives. That is, until the miracle fumble. This is a play that will forever go down in un-infamy. We loved the sight of all those shocked Oregonian faces. If we were getting Chinese water tortured, that one was the Iron Maiden deluxe supersized combo. The Clog feels for ya, Oregon people … Actually, not really. We’re just stoked about the amazing win!
  • This contest was tough on our sturdy golden stomach.Image Source: Allison Porterfield, Daily Cal
    No. 6 Bears Stun No. 11 Ducks 31-24 at Autzen Stadium [Daily Cal]

• Comments:
    Avinash said:
    Sep 30, 2007 at 3:56 am

“Dixon was terrible.”

Oh yeah, he was awful. 31-44 for 306 yards?

Christ, I’d like to know what you’d have to do for the Clog to consider you good.

Amy said:
    Sep 30, 2007 at 9:23 am

Avinash, you seemed to have missed the second part of that sentenc- “in the closing minutes.”

Maybe he has to be able to read for the Clog to consider him good.

calfootballfan said:

he still wasnt awful…he led the team down two pivotal drives…a little luck on our side that the ball got knocked out of colvin’s hands.

Avinash said:

The original post was as quoted—it was edited. And it still doesn’t make much sense, he took his team 125 yards in 150 seconds on those final drives. Those final two turnovers were due to a Cal defender batting the pass to Alualu, and he had no control over that fumble.

Diego Maria Dangierre said:

It’s Dickson, not Dicksan. The involuntary pilates comment was the first thing that has ever made me laugh (in a good way) when reading the Daily Clog.