As of late Monday afternoon, an Alameda County judge ordered the sorta homeless, media-garnering, poo-flinging tree sitters to climb down or face five days in jail and a $1,000 fine.

We thought living in a fenced-in tree for ten months would be greater punishment than five days in jail (because, let’s face it, who really knows what goes on up there), but surely the $1,000 additional fine for noncompliance will really bring them down. It’s not exactly like they can hold regular jobs.

So the Nuclear-Free-Vegan-Save-The-Trees Zone is now the Tree-People-Free Zone, and frankly, what a relief. Fewer feces, fewer propane tanks, fewer tree people and fewer hyphens never hurt anyone.

According to The San Francisco Chronicle article, “The judge … agreed with lawyers for UC, who said the protesters could exercise those rights somewhere else and that the university had the right to keep people off its property.” Basically, the trespassing question is at last answered.

We’re kind of relieved, really, that at least the battle has been won, if not the war. It’s not like we especially care that there’s this conflict around them or anything, but as we’ve said before, it’s old. How much more can we say about it? For that matter, how much longer can the whole thing last?

Image Source: Ted Kwong, Daily Cal
Judge orders tree-sitters at Cal to get down [SF Gate]
Huh. [Beetle Beat]