Halloween is exactly three weeks away, and while most parties aren’t anticipated (or even planned) that far in advance, we know how some of you Berkeley students out there like to plan out your schedule. (We know this partially by how many hits the Clog post about the arrival of the Spring 2008 schedule got.)

Castro has long been a staple of Berkeley Halloween festivities. But the violent events of Oct. 31, 2006, besides spawning many “I survived” Facebook groups, caused the San Francisco city officials’ decision to stop Halloween street celebrations in the Castro this year.

Still, the district is preparing with decorations and “Halloween Headquarters” signs, so SF residents are demanding more information on how the city plans to shut down the party and keep the area safe.

A major public hearing to discuss such is planned for tonight before the San Francisco Police Commission at City Hall, where no doubt there will be a number of religiously-devoted fans of Halloween wailing for the party to continue. We recommend those of you who identify with this label to anticipate further updates from that city across the bay.

Nine people were shot in the chaos of last year. But the city expects several hundred thousand people to still show up, including many Berkeley students. The problem isn’t just that it’ll be a little cramped (like always) in the district. Every year there is a major sewage problem; no bathrooms for that number of people means … well, you get the idea.

The city of San Francisco is funding a $40,000 campaign (which includes TV and radio ads) to encourage people to stay home or go elsewhere the night of Oct. 31. Where will several hundred thousand strangely dressed people go?

Unfortunately, the Clog doesn’t anticipate the Castro party wanting to come to visit us in Berkeley. Darn.

Much ado about the closing of Castro Halloween Party [SF Gate]
Community Tradition [Citizens for Halloween]
Spring 2008 Schedule Up (And We Are Trying Hard Not to Use Exclamation Points) [The Clog]
I Survived Halloween in the Castro 2006 [Facebook]

Seamus said:

A little cramped huh? It was awfully CRAMPS at teh Fillmore.

Eric Crossan said:
Jun 23, 2012 at 5:05 am

I truly appreciate this post. I’ve been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thank you again