Determined astronomers from the Radio Astronomy Laboratory in Campbell Hall really want an answer to the question of life on other planets.They’ve already teamed up with the Seti Institute to build a little something that the Clog likes to call the Alien Telescope Array:

Funded by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, the finished array will have 350 six-metre antennas and will be one of the world’s largest.The Allen Telescope Array (ATA) will be able to sweep more than one million star systems for radio signals generated by intelligent beings. Its creators hope it will help spot definite signs of alien life by 2025.

OK, we admit: We’re super excited. We Cloggers have an affinity for the weird–whether it be of the ghostly, extraterrestrial or hippie sort. Alas, our school doesn’t offer a Bachelor of Science in Supernatural Phenomenon. Our campus doesn’t have any haunted buildings, really–and though Astronomy 10 fueled our curious imaginations, it still left us with an ugly smudge on our freshman transcripts (whoever said the class was easy was lying).We’re crossing our fingers for some interesting results from this project. If not, we’ll just stick to secretly watching “Unsolved Mysteries” reruns on Lifetime.Radio Astronomy Laboratory [Homepage]The Seti Institute [Homepage]Skies to be swept for alien life [BBC]