On Saturday morning, the Clog attended a blogging workshop hosted by the Asian American Journalists Association. We stepped into North Gate not knowing what exactly happens in a blogging workshop. Really, we were there because (1) the Daily Cal paid for us and (2) we wanted to meet Tim Goodman, the Chron’s awesome TV critic.

We started with a panel of four blog people: the Chron’s deputy managing editor for online Eve Batey, Curbed SF editor Sarah Hromack, food blogger Amy Sherman and aforementioned Tim Goodman (who also blogs on Bastard Machine and podcasts).

They threw out some words, most of which the forty-year-olds were struggling to catch. One panelist, in discussing Movable Type, mentioned its parent company Six Apart.

“What was that again?” one of the fogies asked.

“Six Apart.”

“Six … of Hearts?”

“Six. A. Part. It’s run by a husband and wife, whose birthdays are six days apart.”

“Oh.”

Keywords for the panel: Flickr, Moo cards, Vox, open source, RSS.

The best part of the workshop, barring the technologically challenged older people, was Goodman’s tips in the blogging packet we picked up. Here they are, in entirety:

1. Get the money up front.
2. If you don’t get the money up front, you may feel pressure to blog anyway because everyone else is and if you already have a newspaper job then you might not have it tomorrow unless you’re a blogger, so maybe you should blog first and ask for money later.
3. Blogging first and asking for money later never works. I’ve tried it.
4. If you blog, you may get interested in or be asked to podcast. Just know this–there is no money in podcasting. So don’t ask for it.
5. If you podcast, you’ll discover that it’s like radio without the listeners. But at least you can alert your blog readers to the fact you’ve posted a podcast as well. This may be the only reason to have a blog, which is actually kind of sad.

Other great moments, during the actual workshop portion:

“Have you all opened up your Web browser?” Batey asked.
“You’re speaking Greek to me,” a techtard said.
“I only speak English.”

Or:

“OK, you’ll need to be able to access your e-mail to register (for a Vox blog). Can everyone do that?” Batey asked.
“How do I know if I can do that?!” The same techtard.
“Have you ever been able to access your e-mail from another computer?”
“You mean now? In here?” She was freaking out.
“Like ever. As in your entire life.”

Pwned.

Image Source: Felipe Micaroni Lalli under Creative Commons

k_radsurferboi86~*~* said:
Nov 12, 2007 at 1:16 am

You forgot to mention the part where a certain someone mentioned a certain something about the quality of another certain someone’s somethings.

Eve said:

Har. The only issue I have with this account was that it makes me sound much cleverer than I actually was. Thanks for not calling me out for how bad I was sweating it at the workshop. The Clog will always bear a place of honor in my RSS feed.