Yesterday the SF Chronicle ran one article and one editorial on issues in colleges. The article addressed how colleges cope with extremely large classes. The editorial was part of a “weekly guide to higher education” and addressed the possibility of the UC changing the weight of the SAT in the admissions process.We thought the Chron was fascinated with us, so it makes us sad when they don’t mention the school across the bay, especially when the articles apply to us so directly. Who has big classes? Berkeley has big classes! And who had to take the SAT? Berkeley students had to take the SAT!OK, so in this case it was AP that covered the story about the big classes. So we’ll cut them some slack … but we don’t want Berkeley’s perspective on big classes or the SAT to be left out of the picture.In regard to big classes, at least we don’t have classes bigger than 1,200, like the University of Colorado. But, well, Chem 1A, among other huge classes, pretty much suck.In regard to whether the SAT should still be strongly considered in UC applications: A comment from a Berkeley student on the Chron’s weekly feature gave an interesting perspective and gave it with almost more (reckless) school spirit than the ASUC. They even exercised the triple-question mark, voicing that, once again, the Chron doesn’t understand Berkeley.
UC Berkeley is without question the top University in the world, which makes it one of the most competitive for entry. As give-away grades are still an issue in high schools and cheating on tests a known factor … what then would be a fair standard for admission??? … Not everyone can go to Berkeley . A sad but true realization is that all students are not created equal.

The Clog thinks that things shouldn’t be made easy for incoming applicants because they already have the advantage of the StatFinder.Colleges Cope With Bigger Classes [SF Gate]College Bound: A weekly guide to higher education [SF Gate]