After discovering the latest omen of the world’s coming demise, the Clog encourages Berkeley students to put down their books and enjoy their short-lived time on earth.

From one perspective, this is not the apocalypse, but the glorious second coming: Now there is finally a hipster Nick Jr. show that aging hipsters can show to their toddlers. It’s so hip, Urban Outfitters might want to sell the seasons if it ever starts a children’s line. But underneath what appears to be a layer of trendiness, the Clog has discovered a terrifying, haunting element worse than the worst things we can imagine might go down in People’s Park. (Yes, that’s Elijah Wood appearing on “Yo Gabba Gabba”).Though on the surface, to those living in Berkeley, wearing pashmina scarves and sporting bizarre, pseudo-trendy sunglasses, the show “Yo Gabba Gabba!” sounds great. Look at that title–it’s so edgy and artsy, even the hip Clog staff doesn’t know what it means.

The show is created by members of The Aquabats. One of the animation sequences in the show is designed by indie cartoonists Evan Dorkin and Sarah Dyer. Hipster retailer Kidrobot (who has a store on Haight, the pathetic hippie-hangout rival across the bay) makes action figures and a clothing line for the show. Icons of coolness, from indie bands like The Shins, Biz Markie and Tony Hawk have appeared on the show. Wikipedia explains the hipsterness:

The absurd style of humor used in the show is intended, like The Aquabats, to appeal to adults through its manic, frenzied approach to wholesome messages, while at the same time carrying all the family-friendly content of the average Nick Jr. program.

Yet this artifice of trendiness is something very terrifying. This video made us question the purchase of that vinyl we bought at Amoeba last week (the vinyl we bought even though we don’t own a record player). This video made us question those pashmina scarves, and the last hour we spent playing Scrabulous. Underneath all of our hipster actions, is there a creepiness as creepy (and hilarious) as this video?

All we know is we can’t wait for finals to be over so we can watch “Yo Gabba Gabba” during the day. And we really liked (and feared) the part in which Elijah Wood says, “Let’s go crazy!”

Yo Gabba Gabba! [YouTube]
Yo Gabba Gabba! [Wikipedia]
Yo Gabba Gabba! [Web site]

Earlier: This Week’s Sign of the Apocalypse: Eco-Friendly Burials

Too Cool For Preschool? ‘Where The Wild Things Are,’ ‘Yo Gabba Gabba’ & More | Ypulse said:

[...] situation. I heard of the show through a blog put out by my college newspaper. The headline read: This Week’s Sign of the Apocalypse: Hipster Kid’s TV Show Is a People’s Park Acid Trip If that wouldn’t pique your interest, what would? For those of you who aren’t familiar, YGG was [...]

Too Cool For Preschool? ‘Where The Wild Things Are,’ ‘Yo Gabba Gabba’ & More | Tween Girls On Line Magazine said:

[...] situation. I heard of the show through a blog put out by my college newspaper. The headline read: This Week’s Sign of the Apocalypse: Hipster Kid’s TV Show Is a People’s Park Acid Trip If that wouldn’t pique your interest, what would? For those of you who aren’t familiar, [...]