With the news that seems to be clustering all around us–from the loss of the axe to the year-long inability to get rid of the tree-sitters–the Clog has been very pissy and flustered. Who can blame us? These are fairly big deals.But then, we read that Landis Everson, a member of the Berkeley Renaissance poets of the 1940s and 1950s, passed away. And we wondered what the definition of a “big deal” is.When the Berkeley Renaissance poets drifted apart in the early 1960s, Everson stopped writing poetry because “for him poetry is a communication between friends, not a commercial enterprise.”Everson’s friends were Jack Spicer, Robin Blaser and Robert Duncan, the core members of the Berkeley Renaissance poets (a movement part of the San Francisco Renaissance).Though we are not trying to be downer or trying to imitate the sappy end of a Full House episode (we do that on our English papers), sometimes it’s nice to step back and realized that tree-sitters and football games are not the biggest deals in the entire world. People won’t remember what the tree sitters ate for Thanksgiving. But they will remember that which is truly transcendent.On the Terrace [Poets.org]Renowned Berkeley poet commits suicide at age 81 [Oakland Tribune]

NOTE: This post has been edited for clarity.