Most likely you’ve never seen a hyena–or even imagined that 30 laughing members of the family hyaenidae live within a mile of campus near Tilden Park.

But they do. But they won’t for long.

The hyenas live at the Berkeley Field Station for the Study of Behavior, Ecology and Reproduction. But housing the animals is getting too expensive, and they will soon be moved to zoos.

It costs $10.50 a day to house a hyena, if you were wondering.

Funds started running out in mid-October. 22 years prior, UC Berkeley Professor Steve Glickman started the colony because of the lack of preservation of this misunderstood species (They’re not hermaphrodites, people!).

“There are no ‘save-the-hyena’ committees, and their persistent public relations problems could have very serious consequences for the preservation of hyena habitats and the long-term prospects for these species,” [Glickman] wrote.

Thank you Professor Glickman (and soon-to-be-gone hyena habitat) for evidence that there are better, needier causes out there than oak tree groves.

Creature Comforts [Berkeley Science Review]
From sex roles to eating, female hyenas rule [SF Gate]

Posted in: News
Tags:,
Comments (3)
Print This Post Print This Post

bcaa emagrece said:

The definition of some really good hubpages themes/plugins which allow you to operate structure?

drupal module development|drupal get path|drupal 7 theming|drupal views block|drupal views attachment|drupal views relationships|drupaleasy|drupal 7|drupal|base_path drupal|drupal compact forms|drupal views tutorial|selling teaching content ubercart|bluep said:

Hello, i believe that i noticed you visited my weblog so i got here to go back the prefer?.I’m attempting to in finding issues to enhance my website!I guess its ok to use some of your ideas!!

Czesław Jasiński said: