1308947567_d4febf951b_b.jpg There’s a little known community here on campus that no one knows about, mainly because the people supposed to be in it don’t even know it exists. We’re talking about the scores of students living outside the Berkeley bubble who travel five or more miles to get to campus every day: the commuter community of bussers, BART riders and drivers. We can tell you from experience that the life of extensive travel to and from school can not only be irritating, but often lonesome–as if no one shares in your daily struggles and everyone else gets to party all night while you’re busy trekking home to a warm bed (screw homework, commuting is tiring enough).

Still, feeling all alone fails to explain the lack of parking spots available come 10 a.m. Truth is, more people live a substantial distance away from campus than we realize. Some take MUNI and BART from their own apartment in the city. Others might drive down from Napa, where they live with their family. And though drivers tend to get parking tickets and the occasional obscene gesture hurled in their direction, they normally enjoy the isolation of an insulated car pod. Anyone who has traveled on BART, however, knows that its passengers can be a bit … unsavory. Imagine being on a train, sandwiched between homeless funk and yuppie CK1–every single day. That’s public indecency to the max.

Suddenly, the 30 minute walk from your apartment doesn’t seem so bad anymore.

Commuters–don’t bring lunch on Friday! Mingle with other woeful travelers at the Spring Commuter Kickoff, happening Jan. 25 from 12-2 p.m. in Heller Lounge. R.S.V.P. to [email protected] by today. Visit Cal Commuter for more information.