dsc_0086.JPGThanks to voting season, Code Pink recently stepped up its protest game against Shattuck Avenue’s military recruitment center, much to the annoyance of everyone but the City of Berkeley. We certainly hear a lot of support for the formerly pink-clad bunch whenever we’re in the vicinity of Shattuck Square (they now prefer Guantanamo orange), but the Clog–and The Daily Californian, for that matter–is not among those supporters. However, we’re obviously in the minority: Code Pink still had their way with the City Council on Tuesday and snagged a temporary parking spot, among other things.

One of the nine council members, Gordon Wozniak, opposed the resolution and the parking spot.

“I believe in free speech, and I certainly respect the right of Code Pink to protest,” Mr. Wozniak said. “But I’m also concerned we treat all sides fairly, and I think the Marines recruiters are just doing their job. They’re not evil people.”

You know you’re in the Twilight Zone when you can spot a vague similarity between Mr. Wozniak’s lone vote and Congresswoman Barbara Lee’s singular opposition to the Bush war resolution after 9/11. It’s also strange to wish that those pesky tree-sitters were in the news again, if only to offset the national attention garnered by Code Pink’s largely more ridiculous example of Berkeley political insanity.

At least we’re making Michelle “Ann Coulter In Training” Malkin’s blood boil, though we do pretty much agree with her and the rest of the conservative blogosphere on the issue.

Oh, the world has indeed turned upside down!

Image Source: Patrici Flores
Berkeley Finds a New Way to Make War Politics Local [New York Times]
Editorial: Selective Disservice [Daily Cal]

Earlier: Ring the Nuclear-Free Protest Bell: Berkeley Peacefully Shoves the Establishment

Dusty said:
Feb 3, 2008 at 7:34 am

That Code Pink decided to protest the Marine recruiting center in Berkeley proves to me that it has been infiltrated by neocons that wish to divert attention from more important matters, such as impeaching Cheney and Bush, and the bogus 9/11 Commission report. This reminds me of Mayor Gus of San Francisco legalizing gay marriage in order to give the Republicans that extra rallying cry which enabled them to win in 2004. How stupid, and how embarrassing to those of us in Berkeley who want change!

anon said:
Feb 3, 2008 at 1:16 pm

crazy berkeleyans

CJ said:
Feb 4, 2008 at 3:20 pm

Oh the myth of tolerance… The people of Berkeley are tolerant… to those people they agree with.

(There’s a word for it — “hypocrisy.”)

JMS said:
Feb 5, 2008 at 9:20 am

Seems the marxist organization CodePink is having the time of their lives as well as leftist elements of the People’s Republic of Berkeley’s city council. Perhaps the city council needs a wake-up call that a ban of any armed forces recruitment in their “country” will result in a revocation of federal dollars allocated for programs in Berkeley. Since Berkeley’s city council gave the marxists their own parking spot in front of the marine’s recruiting station, perhaps they have more freedom of speech rights than their marine counterparts.

So much for Berkeley being a beacon of freedom for all, just a freedom of leftists.

yaman’s amateur ramblings » The cowardice of the Daily Cal and the Daily Clog said:
Feb 15, 2008 at 10:21 am

[...] Clog, for example, called the activists supporting the Berkeley City Council resolution “the new fascism.” The same author later described the protesters as “rally kids and crazies,” and [...]

Maureen Demirjian said:

Thanks for any other informative Peyton Manning Authentic Jersey blog. Where else may I am getting that kind of information written in such an ideal way? I have a venture that I’m simply now working on, and I have been at the glance http://www.officialnflbroncosshop.com/peyton-manning-jerseys-c-21 out for such info.