2123658344_feceab3394_b.jpgVisualize Heller Lounge–yes, that huge, carpeted space at the bottom of the Martin Luther King Student Union. Chances are, you’ll picture it as what it honestly is to most of the student population. It’s a study lounge that sometimes closes off to hold events, thus pissing off the many people who usually read, eat or sleep there before class.

But Heller Lounge is not supposed to be all about about the comfy, drool-stained sofas! No, it’s also the temporary home to Berkeley’s Multicultural Center. If that’s news to you, you’re not the only one–but organizers across student groups are now coming together with a plan to change all that. This week, they’re charging up for a week of teach-ins that will lead into a flood of events during “Reclaiming the Space Week” Mar. 3-8.

The lease to the Multicultural Center’s temporary ownership of Heller Lounge expires this summer, and we all know that the Lower Sproul Plaza redevelopment plan–which will include a draft of a permanent Multicultural Center–won’t show concrete results for a long, long time. (Kind of like the longtime battle for a prettier People’s Park.) The events this week and next are meant to educate and hopefully renew Heller Lounge’s identity, making it more multicultural than just the color of its furniture and the space reservation priorities given to multicultural programming.

We’re eager to see how students keep up the expectations of a true multicultural space once these weeks are over and done. Will there be events there all the time? Multi-colored pillows to match the sofas, perhaps? Pillows would be awesome.

Perhaps, though, you should try to find another place to take a nap next week.

No justice, no sleep.

Image Source: Patrici Flores
New multicultural center opens at UC Berkeley [Berkeley News]
A Promise of Equity Still Unfulfilled [Daily Cal]
Campus Commits Funds to Lower Sproul Development [Daily Cal]
Center is Open, But Case is Not Closed [Daily Cal]
ASUC By-Laws, Title V, Space Allocations [ASUC]
Multicultural Center Needs More Tolerance [Daily Cal]

pizza said:
Feb 26, 2008 at 11:00 pm

ARE YOU F***ing KIDDING ME? Since when did the Clog become a space for political bullshit like this. Is this real journalism or just a place for crappy calls no one cares about.

Cal Alum said:
Feb 27, 2008 at 8:13 am

I’m gonna guess “crappy calls no one cares about” is the correct answer. What ever happened to calstuff.com?

yaman said:
Feb 27, 2008 at 10:17 am

This is supposed to be more humorous than political… I thought that was obvious.

pizza said:
Feb 28, 2008 at 1:22 pm

this post should seriously be deleted

bs

King of the Streetz said:

Dear Pizza:

I see barely anything political in this post. In fact, I think your animosity comes from your failing to understand this post. Let me summarize the difficult post for you:

1. Heller Lounge exists, and people use it to sleep.
2. When people who are deprived of sleep cannot sleep before class, they get grumpy!
3. But Heller Lounge is also a multicultural center!
4. There will be a week of events. During this week, people won’t be able to sleep in heller.
5. Will students be interested in (i) multicultural events or (ii) sleeping in Heller lounge.

Essentially, pizza, you’re an idiot. There’s absolutely nothing political in this post. “Politics” implies some sort of “political” stand.

Granted, I skipped a lot of this post’s content in my summary, but the mere fact that you make wild inferences that seem to come from nowhere is troubling.

The post was meant to be funny. Why don’t you infer yourself a sense of humor?