Some more sitters of the tree variety set up shop outside Wheeler Hall today, but don’t get them confused with the Oakies. The new treewoks on the block sit for student activism, namely “democratization” of the UC Regents and condemning the BP deal.

OK, fair enough. We’re still not convinced that sitting in a tree will gain anything besides extra police patrolling.

But wait! There’s more! SFist tipped us to another tree-related protest scheduled for tomorrow. Called “Toilet-Trees” (oh so clever), the protest calls out Kimberly-Clark for its clear-cutting practices in producing tissue and toilet paper. In the copy of the press release, SFist points to the claim that “there will be great visuals and photo opportunities!”

Oh shit. Take a look for yourselves:

Subject: Press Release 2/28 UC BERKELEY EVENT ON SPROUL PLAZA

FOR RELEASE:

This Thursday, the 28th, Greenpeace along with UC Berkeley student organizers will be hosting a “Toilet-Trees” event on Sproul Plaza on the Berkeley Campus 10am-2pm to alert students to the clear-cutting practices of Kleenex Brand’s parent company, Kimberly-Clark. This is the world’s largest tissue manufacturer and uses clear-cut wood sourced from ancient forests to make a product that millions of people use – and then simply throw away. Students all across the country have been organizing to send a clear message to Kimberly-Clark that sustainable universities will not buy their products. UC-Berkeley prides itself on being a sustainable campus, and we too want to send a clear message Kimberly-Clark that they will not get away with their clear-cutting practices – as students will unite our voices and stand up to them. Our event is designed to call attention to Kimberly-Clark’s practices and garner student support for passing a student resolution stating our concern regarding Kimberly-Clark’s practices.

There will be great visuals and photo opportunities!

We would love for you to come out.

Fortunately, SFist has confirmed that there will not be, as one might easily assume, more poop on campus property. Instead, Greenpeace and company will symbolically flush trees down toilets. Phew.

Image Source: Christine Borden
Free Speech Still Comes at a Price [Notes from the Field]
UPDATE: Greenpeace and UC Berkeley Students to Hold the Most Disgusting Protest Ever Tomorrow [SFist]

Concerned Californian said:
Feb 28, 2008 at 10:27 am

So this is what the big BUZZ is about…I shall go see today. Will the protest actually start something? I have no clue.

ritron said:
Feb 28, 2008 at 9:48 pm

I say we cut all the trees on campus so it is physically impossible to have tree-sitters.

xrchat-phplinkdirectory said:

Can I lately say what a relief to seek out someone who actually knows what theyre discussing more than the internet. You certainly learn how to bring a concern to light and produce it critical. The top way to ought to appear at this and fully grasp this side from the story. I cant feel youre less popular because you completely contain the gift.