600px-sad_face.gifApparently, the protester currently known as “Fresh” knows when to follow his feline instincts and scurry up into the nearest tree. It also seems that he knows when to reason like a five-year-old.

“I was planning on leaving, but the officer chased me,” he told The Daily Californian, “so I climbed up the tree.” No, we’re not talking about that big tree in front of Wheeler Hall, the one already shouldering the burden of a massive sign. We’re talking about another nearby tree.

Seriously, what gives? Where’s the Lorax when you need him? Or, more importantly–where are those Greenpeace-ers who were supposed to be protesting Kimberly-Clark’s “Kleercutting” of Boreal forests? Maybe they should turn their tree-flushing tactics into a tree two-fer to save the suffering trees right in their own backyard–er–campus.

Or, even better yet, why can’t the trees themselves grow a pair (of leaves) and protest on their own behalf? It happened in “The Lord of the Rings,” and Berkeley’s probably home to the Ents’ most ardent fan base, so why not here? The trees could sit on people! Now that would be news. Well, all we here at The Clog can say is, “Told you so.

Protester Leaves Tree Outside Wheeler Hall and Moves to Another Tree [Daily Californian]

UPDATE: Greenpeace and UC Berkeley Students to Hold the Most Disgusting Protest Ever Tomorrow [SFist]

Earlier: We See a Pattern: Trees Become 21st Century Soapbox

Brian said:

Once upon a time, the strength of a cause was measured by the number of people willing to be arrested, not how long they were willing to lounge in a tree in a pointless attempt to avoid being arrested.