800px-yes_it_does.jpg Since many of you readers are hugely excited about the Mar. 3-8 “Reclaiming the Space” Week–during which down folks will “fuck shit up,” according to the Facebook invitation–we at the Clog decided to do a whole post dedicated to a subject quite dear to our, and presumably your, hearts.

Let’s talk about diversity! So, other than reclaiming the Multicultural Center, here are a few more recent items that have Berkeley bubbling about race issues:

UC Berkeley now has a $5 million Chancellor’s Chair in Equity and Inclusion that will help study ways to make people feel more equal and included. We personally believe that feeling included comes partially from the attitude of the “exclusive” group, partially from within yourself and partially from multi-culturally colored sofas in Heller Lounge. [Daily Cal]

Did you hear about Allen Jackson, the President of the NAACP Berkeley Chapter who claimed that all Berkeley police officers were out to kill as many black people as they can? His remarks came after Berkeley resident Anita Gay was shot by an officer two weeks ago. Apparently, the NAACP itself does not condone the President's remarks. Oh, overzealous activists--see, Code Pink? Look what you started. [Mercury News]

Sen. Darrell Steinberg (D-Sacramento) is calling out Chancellor Robert Birgeneau and the university for discrimination! Birgeneau and other officials supposedly went great lengths to avoid confronting Native American tribes' demands to free their ancestors' remains from university Anthropology archives. Apparently, the Birgeneau and his administration have stealthily stepped around that conversation for years. Why? Like most everything in this world, it all has to do with money--along with the reputation of UC Berkeley's prestigious educational opportunities. If we lose those bones, this school would have nothing else to offer! [LA Times]

Image Source: Beatrice Murch under Creative Commons