800px-golden_russet_apple.jpgSometimes, professors need concrete proof of students’ appreciation–proof that doesn’t consist of sucking up during office hours in hopes of a glowing letter of recommendation. And so students created the “The Golden Apple Award for Outstanding Teaching,” named so because it historically incites intense jealousy in the community of professors who don’t win the honor.

In 2007, students nominated a total of 54 professors. Five were finalists, and department of history Professor Leon Litwack eventually claimed the honor during his last semester teaching.

The 2008 nomination process is now open and goes until Apr. 6. After choosing the winner, the ASUC, California Alumni Association and Berkeley Hillel go to the professor’s classroom with an undoubtedly welcome surprise of a $2500 award and a symbolic basket of apples.

Want to be a part of the post-nomination selection process? Turn in a resume to participate in choosing the “fairest” professor of them all!

Image Source: Abrahami under Creative Commons
Golden Apple Award [ASUC]
Students adore retiring historian [News Center]

andrew gurwitz said:

thanks for the write-up!

I think we gave you some wrong info though. Nominations go until March 19th this year and last year over 130 students nominated their favorite professor.

Already this year, 80 people have nominated.

Also, the ASUC, CAA, and Hillel are only sponsors. An independent student group “The Golden Apple Committee on Teaching” will be announcing and presenting the award.

Andrew Gurwitz
Chair, Golden Apple Committee on Teaching

emu360v1.4 said:

Normally I don’t learn post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to try and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, quite great article.