symmetry.jpgThank God, Allah and Tom Cruise – it’s Thursday, folks! Now that midterms have finished kicking in our teeth, the Clog would like to take a moment to briefly acknowledge the opening of a new library on campus. In other words, we took an exciting trip to the C.V. Starr East Asian Library so that you don’t have to.

The $46 million library is the only one in the country built explicitly for housing East Asian collections and artifacts. And the weird fracture pattern you see on the Memorial Glade-facing side of the building?

icebreak

Those are “cracked ice” bronze screens. According to one of the leading architects, the screens “act as a golden veil and a symbol of the East Asian legacy, adding a near-dazzling presence to the heart of the campus, placing the East in dynamic relationship with the West.” Oh, lord. We lol’d. Respectfully, of course.

The colossal front door takes a Herculean amount of shoving and grunting to inch open, the library’s walls are hung with what appears to be carpet art, and everything inside gleams. That’s it, pretty much.

square

There’re some nice nooks to nestle in, we must say.

view.jpg

view2.jpg

Because nothing makes people want to study more than a nose-to-glass view of the gorgeously sunny day they’re missing out on.

light

There’re some nifty blue-purple light fixtures down on the basement floor.

meanieface

Say hello to your newest study buddy.

Image Source: Danica Li
C.V. Starr East Asian Library to Open March 17th [Berkeley News]

TXL said:

wow this is amazingly cool. shall go check it out ASAP

sdfghjk said:

lol

Thanks for every other excellent post. The place else could anybody get that type of information in such a perfect manner of writing? I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I am at the search for such information.