skater.jpgRemember this guy? That’s funny … so do we!

Apparently, the Clog is fast becoming a veritable “Before they Were Stars” source for Berkeley’s street peeps and protesters.

Case in point: Mute Musical on Wheels guy (as we’ll henceforth refer to him) showing up not just in any ol’ Times, but THE New York Times. OK, so maybe he appeared in an online piece in the Travel section, but, hey, it’s still pretty darn high profile.

Aw, don’t they climb up the journalistic ladder so fast? Seems like just yesterday that Mute Musical on Wheels guy was featured right here on the Clog, alongside Jeeves, our “chauffeur,” back when we were pretty much the only ones who covered Code Pink. Go get ‘em (appropriately orange-clad), tiger!

This time around, Mute Musical on Wheels appeared in the lead photo, snagging the spotlight and representing the entire ever-so-charmingly quirky city for the special, “36 Hours in Berkeley, Calif.” The feature definitely emphasized Berkeley’s appeal for yuppie wannabe ex-hippies looking for a quick weekend getaway, and generally dismissed “college kids” as the type who go to Blake’s on Telegraph just to “pound shots and scream at the top of their lungs.” Because, you know, that’s all we ever do on Saturday nights, right? (Winky face!)

Image Source: Christine Borden
36 Hours in Berkeley, Calif. [New York Times]
Earlier: We Spy: Doing It in the Road
Earlier: The Daily Show Makes Fun of Code Pink, Students Wonder How They Missed Rob Riggle

John said:

Why does the guy in your photo look white, but the guy in the NY Times photo looks Asian?

What’s up with that? Are they even the same guy?

sdfghjk said:

yeah.
the guy on the times is on a skateboard. the half naked guy is on rollerblades. I don’t think they’re the same person.

it's totally the same guy said:

Nope. Same guy. He roller-skates AND has a skateboard and is definitely asian