oh, vanityOoh, look, the Daily Cal site is all pretty! The redesign, which was in the making for a few semesters, is finally up. We love the design, but the search function is still a little wonky–you can look for articles by specific writers but not by keywords.

Thoughts, anyone?

And speaking of pretty sites, we got a tip from Yaman Salahi via Facebook today concerning his own web design:

I thought you might like to check out the new CalSERVE website that I spent the better half of Spring Break working on. For full disclosure purposes: I am the webmaster as well as one of the party coordinators this semester, so by no means am I an “impartial observer” though I’d like to think I’m not wack. It’s at www.calserve.org. I’m not going to lie, I think it’s the best campus party website so far and I think it blows Student Action’s site out of the water.

Does CalSERVE’s site kick more ass and take more names than that of Student Action? We think only Beetle would really care in this matter.

Image Source: Madfox under Creative Commons
Daily Cal [Website]
CalSERVE [Website]
Student Action [Website]

not beetle, but... said:

As much as I tend to dislike some of Yaman’s comments on Beetle’s blog, I think he did a solid job with the CalSERVE site. While there’s a good bit of political rhetoric up there, it’s to be expected, and there’s much much more information on their site in general, as compared to SA’s. Also, its just more aesthetically pleasing.

hamster said:

we should definitely vote based on who has the best website too.

yaman salahi was also appointed asuc webmaster; he gets $1000 from the asuc.

political patronage?

ryan said:

It’s not political patronage if you actually update the ASUC website consistently for the first time ever as Yaman has.

Beetle said:

Well, there’s certainly no doubt that the CalSERVE website is better done than the SA website.

The issue of political patronage is half-accurate. It’s not so much “You work for me and I’ll get you money,” it’s “The only people I know are the people who work for me, and nobody’s clamoring to actually help out the ASUC, so those folks I know are the only people I can ask to do stuff.”

ryan said:

Yes, someone deserves $1000 for such brilliant updating as the following:

* Senate Contingency Fund Spending (updated July 25, 2007)
There is currently $17,157.65 in the Senate Contingency Fund. No money from this fund has been spent in the 2007-2008 fiscal year.

* Greek Philanthropy Fund Spending (updated July 25, 2007)
There is currently $14,390.92 in the Greek Philanthropy Fund. No money from this fund has been spent in the 2007-2008 fiscal year.

* Fee & Room Waivers
No fee or room waivers have been passed in the 2007-2008 fiscal year.

yaman said:

I did not mean to imply in my comment that people should vote according to the website. All I am saying is that the CalSERVE website is the closest thing to an informative, meaningful, and comprehensive communication tool than any other party so far. I hope other parties follow suit because the idea of a political body that is responsive even outside of the 2 weeks before elections is actually something I support.

As for the ASUC website, if anybody has any questions feel free to e-mail me, [email protected].

jerry said:

This is ridiculous. There is a student election in one week and the best we can talk about is which website is the best? An updated website does not necessarily mean that a certain school party is better than another party. A flashy website does not mean that the party is the best choice to vote for nor does it mean that they have the best policies.

Additionally, look out at Sproul Plaza. All you see are picket signs telling us to vote for Student Action or Calserve candidates but what do we actually learn from this tactic? The answer is that this election is simply a popularity contest- just like high school. These parties give the image that by shoving their party names at student faces, they will win the upcoming election.

Whatever anyone says about this election, every party believes that they will do what is best for the students and the future of the university. Each party may proceed slightly different in terms of policy, but practically every party promises to allow greater student participation in our government, help student lives better at Berkeley, and encourage more of their voice in the ASUC.

I hope this election is about which candidate possesses the issues that we care about and that our vote is not tied to a certain party. Each party represents a set of values but every candidate also advocates for other issues. Don’t take your vote for granted. Vote and tell the ASUC what direction you want to take UC Berkeley into the future.