tortureAfter discovering the latest omen of the world’s coming demise, the Clog encourages Berkeley students to put down their books and enjoy their short-lived time on earth. (Or not, in this case.)

A recently declassified 2003 memo authorizing brutal interrogation methods on Guantanamo Bay detainees wouldn’t be news, really, because we’re jaded like that. The catch? The damning signature on the memo belongs to a lawyer cum professor, and that professor teaches law at a school of ultra liberal, Bush-bashing yukkity-yuks: our very own UC Berkeley.

Dubbed by national media as the John Yoo torture memo, the piece argues that the Fifth Amendment’s due process protections and the Eight Amendment’s ban on cruelty fails to apply to Guantanamo Bay prisoners because they’re aliens, damnit. Also because the President’s powers must be augmented during times of war. Mr. Yoo opines that, furthermore, “international law is not federal law and the President is free to override it at his discretion.”

Political pundits admit that Mr. Yoo probably wasn’t the driving force behind the torture referendums, only a “convenient idealogue who was there to sign on the dotted line”. Blithely violating decades of established humanitarian convention aside, Mr. Yoo teaches classes on international law, foreign relations and civil litigation at Boalt. It’s enough to make baby Jesus cry.

Image Source: mjb under Creative Commons
The Green Light: Attorney Phillipe Sands Follows the Bush Administration Torture Trail [Democracy Now]
John Yoo: A Touch of Evil [Rolling Stone]

I will right away seize your rss as I can not in finding your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly permit me understand so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

reverse phone said:

I do accept as true with all the concepts you have offered in your post. They have been actually convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are too brief for novices. Could you please lengthen them a minor out of next time? Thanks for the post.