brain_090407.jpgLast night the Cognitive Science Student Association put on its annual Feel Dead Brains, an “interactive talk for any and everyone who is interested” in the Valley Life Sciences Building. Fortunately for those of us fidgeting with anticipation, waiting to feel the primal rush of having the seat of a human someone’s every thought and emotion at our fingertips, the lecture hall where the event took place was far from packed. We guess the thoroughly plebeian title just didn’t fool as many people as the CSSA thought it would …

We certainly felt part of the scientific elite, listening to featured speaker, grad student Bradley Voytek, as he outlined basics of neuroscience and cracked jokes that only a neurosurgeon would ever, ever think to crack. It was kind of endearing, really.

The talk lasted an entire hour, but evolutionary narcissism kept us awake and interested the entire time. Voytek rattled off some neurological “fun facts” then really got to the down and dirty, showing the rapt audience some fairly gruesome pictures of brain surgery, and recounting the cringe-worthy details of a few rather unethical-sounding experiments from neuroscience’s sordid past. Voytek ended on a high note when he showed an image of a cat humping a monkey and explained how it was “all in the name of science.” We couldn’t find the picture, but here are three words to help you get a better idea: Kluver-Bucy Syndrome.

After the lecture was over, things started getting juicy … a couple of GSIs brought out a few gnarly-smelling real, live human brains. OK, fine, they were dead human brains, but all the same, it was an experience so riveting that we almost completely missed the free food–Jelly Bellies and Peanut M&Ms. So appetizing …

Kluver-Bucy Syndrome [Wikipedia]

Celestyn Sawicki said:

Keep up the good work , I read few content on this website and I conceive that your blog is real interesting and has got sets of excellent info .