Green greeny green green! Monday was the fifth annual Sustainability Summit, organized by the Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Sustainability (a.k.a. CACS, you know, in case you were curious). The Earth Week event started off with a few people talking about how awesomely their green projects have been going this year–and then they started handing out the green for green from green, if you know what we’re saying.

CACS announced the 2008 recipients of Green Fund Grants, “supporting innovative campus sustainability projects,” and presented the Berkeley environmental equivalent of The Oscars (for whatever they’re worth), Sustainability Awards.

And the winners are …

2008 Sustainability Awards:
Student Laura Moreno for active contributions to campus sustainability since her freshman year. A founding member of the Green Room Committee and the Building Sustainability at Cal program, she is currently co-chair of the Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Sustainability (CACS).

Faculty member Ashok Gadgil
, a senior research scientist at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory and an adjunct faculty member with the campus’s Energy & Resources Group, for his work bringing to his teaching his personal experiences with sustainability-related projects in developing nations.

Staff member Tim Pine, environmental specialist at the Office of Environment, Health & Safety, for varied contributions to campus sustainability — from serving as lead organizer of the first campus Alternative Transportation Fair to extensive work with student volunteers to restore campus natural areas.

The Grant Making Committee of the Green Initiative Fund (TGIF) for its work administering grants generated by a TGIF student-fee referendum. The student-staff-faculty committee, in TGIF’s critical first year, solicited and reviewed 28 grant proposals and paved the way for the fund to make important contributions to campus greening for years to come.

2008 Green Fund Grant recipients

* Sheet-mulch training for campus groundskeepers (Theron Klos)
* EH&S electric-powered delivery vehicle (Pat Goff)
* Waterless urinals in Etcheverry Hall (Trey Cauley, Al Pisano)
* University Hall sun-tracking mirrors for illumination (Jeremy White)
* Re-fund Green Campus Program, for energy-conservation education (Kameron Kitajima and the Green Campus Team)
* University Hall task lighting
(Rececca Anderson)
* Weather station to regulate central campus irrigation system (Gary Imazumi)
* Workshop with building-energy expert, for architect/design students (Merrian Fuller)

Students Stage Fifth Sustainability Summit [Berkeley News Center]
Earlier: Earth Week is Coming. Look Busy!