Pound it, bro!After discovering the latest omen of the world’s coming demise, the Clog encourages Berkeley students to put down their books and enjoy their short-lived time on earth

A group of Bay Area College Republicans finally found something Republicans decided was worth protesting. Friday night, they showed up on the mean streets of San Jose to revolt against none other than–a beer tax. Yeah, we know, right?

The proposal (not yet drafted, by the way) would be designed to sort of, indirectly-ish, combat underage drinking, save the state lots of money on bad things that are related to underage drinking (i.e. car crashes) by taxing beer manufacturers, and in effect, making a six pack o’ brewskies almost $2.00 more expensive. Assembleyman Jim Beall cited studies that showed drinking among college students as a “real health problem.” Gee, well when you put it that way …

Students showed up with a firm “Nay!” arguing that the tax would disproportionately affect college students and that it’s common knowledge that young collegians often like to kick back with a nice keg stand after a long day of classes. They expressed their indignation by shouting clever, historically-informed protest slogans like “No taxation on intoxication!” and “Don’t tax mah beeuh!”

Naturally, retailers of beer also were not so fond of the proposal. The Chron definitely interviewed the owner of Berkeley’s own, Sam’s Fred’s Market (a.k.a. DEFINITELY NOT Rexall Drugs in any way, obviously excluding giant sign overpowering storefront):

“This isn’t about beer, it’s about money,” said Ramy Ayyad, whose family owns Fred’s Market, a deli near the UC Berkeley campus.

Well-spotted, we say! And this just goes to show you–Facebook can make a difference! Apparently, the protest was an event on the ol’ Fbook first, garnering 68 whole “maybe attending” commitments! Woot. The event, incidentally, was titled “BEER TAX REVOLT!! Fight for your right to party!” Only one extra exclamation point and no spelling errors. Now that’s what we’d call impressive. Plus ten points for alluding to outspoken Conservatives, The Beastie Boys. (Ha.)

Image: Conrad Nutschan under Wikimedia Commons
Students revolt over beer tax proposal [SFGate]
Earlier: This Week’s Sign of the Apocalypse: Yale’s BabyDaddy Woes

Beetle said:

Sam and Fred are different. Fred’s Market is not Sam’s Market, unless you’re a communist.

pir said:

the guy who owns fred’s owns sam’s. It’s really the same company.

Diana said:

Ditto what Pir said. Sam’s Market is owned by Fred’s market. Sam is one of Fred’s sons and didn’t want to be associated with the other Fred’s down Telegraph, which is run by Fred’s brother.

The cool thing is that they’re keeping the “Rexall” sign as a part of Berkeley history and if you look closely, the deli is called “Foley’s” which used to be a soda pop diner/drugstore before Rexall.

But Ramy’s right; it’s about the money.

Sign Twirlers said:

Just goes to show what can be done with some dedicated Sign Twirlers … and some beer.