Campanile!Last night at midnight, the California Golden Overtones and the UC Men’s Octet performed for a rapt (and tipsy?) audience in the shadow of none other than la Campanile at an apparently annual event, Rock the Clock.

Part mini-pep rally, part frat party, part a Capella concert, and part ritualistic sacrifice (just kidding, but someone did bring their dog) each group started with a Cal spirit song, while the audience sang along and raised their (proverbial) glasses to our esteemed institution. Then the two groups alternated performing their favorite songs, along with the requisite, um, we’ll call them “interpretive dances.”

The ladies of the Golden Overtones were really belting ‘em out, and the men of the Octet didn’t sound so bad themselves. We were particularly impressed when, in the midst of an especially well-done Aretha Franklin medley of some sort, the lead singer at the time took a hefty swig out of an unidentifiable silver can, and continued singing. Now that’s what we’d call talent.

As things slowly descended into a happy sort of chaos, we decided to call it a night. When we left, though, there were definitely some dudes mounting the awning over the front entrance into the tower, and it was getting increasingly difficult to hear the singers. Maybe the guys were just trying to sing their love for Berkeley from the rooftops …

Image Source: Tristan Harward under Creative Commons
Rock the Clock [Facebook]

simba said:

You left early?! You totally missed the Lion King medley and the Cal Drinking Song. Losers.

Nick said:

The image is not from “Urban” at Wikimedia Commons. It is actually a photo by Tristan Harward.