Do we see a light at the end of the tunnel … already? Could it be? Yes, yes it is. At least according to the dears at California Golden Blogs–writer oaktownmario, to be exact. On Friday, the university filed a response to the ruling, which he read in its entirety. He also determined that it “kicks ass.”

The Clog read through his summary, which could still be a little dense for the average reader who doesn’t really care all that much about the tree-sit. Nevertheless, it sounds like good stuff. The university basically modified their athletic center blueprints and could possibly start building fairly soon. This line of the filing in particular seems to emanate the sound of trumpets and choirs of golden angels: “This Court has now ruled that neither CEQA nor any other law prohibits the University from removing trees to make room for the [Student Athlete High Performance Center].”

Ah, the sound of hope! The full filing is found here, at a Cal Athletics message board. Also, if you’re wondering about the video clip posted above–it’s from the fascinating perspective of the treewok supporters on their official YouTube channel and was just uploaded today. The video was taken on June 17 and contains riveting footage of a dangling tree-sitter.

Let the next week of the tree-sitter story commence–and may it reach an end as speedily as we hope.

UCB Oak Grove Tree Ropes Cut Endangering Life of Tree Sitter [YouTube]
Summary of UC’s Filing on Friday: Take That Hippies! [California Golden Blogs]
UC major response, docs here. [The Bear Insider]