A study by Berkeley researchers found that amphibians across the world are dying off at ridiculous rates. Probably the most alarming decline has been in two Sierra Nevada frog species that have lost 95 percent of their populations since a few years ago.

Who—or what—is the culprit? Not researchers who work with animals, if that was on your mind. Instead, a fungus that causes chytridiomycosis kills more frogs than any university scientist could.

Said David Wake, co-author of the study, “It’s (chytridiomycosis) been called the most devastating wildlife disease ever recorded.” Forget about avian flu or tomatoey salmonella—they pale in comparison to the froggy devastation that a fungus like this is causing.

But of course, humans aren’t off the hook either. The other major frog killers are global warming and habitat destruction, not to mention the dirty, dirty air from Central Valley orchards. We’re shaking our fists at you, Modesto!

Image Source: Looking Glass under Creative Commons
Dying Frogs Sign Of A Biodiversity Crisis [ScienceDaily]

adfadsf said:

most of the air that gets trapped in the valley comes in from other parts of the state (like the bay!!). so all that smog in the central valley isn’t all produced by the central valley. they gets stuck with the air because of the surrounding mountains. they don’t have the option of redirecting the pollution to another place, like places near the ocean do.