Science itself has been dealt a harsh blow, placing the epistemological fabric of the entire universe in peril. You hopefully ask, “What’s the cause?” expecting to get out of that 3 hour physics lab on Friday. The answer, to be perfectly frank, is money. (Isn’t it always?)

Federal funding fell for UC Berkeley labs (about $1 gajillion or so, rounding to the nearest gajillion) over the last couple years, meaning fewer resources are going to research (Seriously, who does research in a research university?), development and hiring grad students.

But on the bright side, the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory wasn’t included in the National Science Foundation’s report, so that means it’s doing well, right? Oh wait, no. No it isn’t. Since June, the lab lost 300 employees due to a 13 percent budget decrease. But hey, at least the Bevatron hasn’t exploded. Yet.

For the average chem student, this probably means a shortage of safety equipment since, you know, that stuff always gets cut first during money woes. Just don’t forget that sage advice: Carol never wore her safety goggles. Now she doesn’t need them.

Image Source: bill_canada under Creative Commons
Study Shows Scientists, Labs Struggling with Lack of Funding [Daily Cal]
Universities Detail Declines in Federal R&D Funding for Science and Engineering Fields [NSF]

adfadsf said:
Aug 27, 2008 at 8:46 pm

oh Carol.

aaronrodgersforpresident said:
Aug 28, 2008 at 12:50 pm

There are two of us, both Cal alums, putting together some shirts for the early 2008 season, celebrating the removal of Runningwolf, Dumpster Muffin, and all affiliated hemp-wearing, patchouli-smelling, GED-earning, tree-sitting douchebags.

Here’s a taste…
http://www.zazzle.com/mhengehold

Note: we are not trying to make money off them, just covering cost. Amazingly, we both have real jobs. Actually, we probably took a loss because we bought a bunch for our friends Sat at the Cal-MSU game.

The goal is to get a few people wearing them around Strawberry Canyon and to make a statement to the tree sitters, namely “Hey Tree Sitters: Fuck You.”

Hoobiehoobie said:
Aug 28, 2008 at 2:53 pm

You cannot live in two ideologies at once? Either America is ‘good’ and investors will fund ( this and that) to keep the ‘good’ alive, or… you get the picture. Money is not the issue it is the ideology.

Cal underg…
try to see things from the reality side of things, at least for one time. It actually works! You may get readership.

I believe this is among the such a lot vital info for me. And i am happy studying your article. However should remark on few normal things, The website style is ideal, the articles is really excellent : D. Just right job, cheers

ajretros said:

Hack again?!

Rusen lvz said:

It’s like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this
We supply Cheap Nike Shoes ,
It’s saling online store. we have cheap oakley sunglasses