Yesterday’s big news? Google Chrome, Google’s nifty new web browser, was released to much fanfare and hullaboo. We’ve yet to test-drive it ourselves, but the release has got bloggers, developers, and other denizens of the Internet in quite the tizzy. Time will tell if Chrome’s just a flash in the pan – AP thinks it “lacks polish”, InformationWeek’s verdict is that it “mostly glitters” – but in the meantime, check out its new features.

“Incognito” mode, sniggeringly dubbed by bloggers as Chrome’s porn mode, keeps the browser from storing information about any incriminating websites you have or are planning to visit.  The new tab page, on the other hand, automatically preloads the page with thumbnails of nine of your most frequently visited sites. Got a 15 page paper due in half as many minutes? Your browser won’t crash and burn any longer! Or will be less likely to. Google developers went in and reorganized the guts of the program’s system and now the thing’s emerged better, faster, harder, stronger. Only single tabs will crash, they claim. Aw, look, they even have a cute snoodlekins Sad Tab screen of death page to go along with it.

If all of the above sounds like it’s ground that’s been trodden on before, that’s because it is. There’s nothing revolutionary about the system, but maybe users will defect from Firefox because Chrome’s fast and lightweight and, like, shiny and shit. Who knows.

Image Source: cole007 under Creative Commons
Review: Google Chrome Mostly Glitters [Information Week]
Review: Google Chrome lacks polish under the hood [AP]

Anonymous said:

Well, this is the most useful analysis I’ve seen so far…

Saint-Germain-en-Laye said:

I really like Chrome, its very fast… but i will keep my FIrefox ;-)

adfadsf said:

i still use explorer…

it’s just more familiar. this is probably the reason why i somehow feel adversive to macs.

pokemon!!

fchfhhggh said:
Sep 4, 2008 at 1:29 am

didn’t try it? ok.

chromangnam Gomen said:

Yeah, they had stipulated in the licence agreement that everything that went throught the broswer they will own as copyright. You managed not to read that did ya? That was the most important news about the New Googleoid Browsoid. Just understand by downloading it, very advanced software now tracks everything you type. They know what you are sending. Google now owns you. u must be really happy. And you thought the new browser was better privacy. lol.

The EULA end-user licensing agreement released in the new G. Chr. “a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through” the Google Chr. browser.