Those of you who are familiar with the Bay Area’s unique culture may remember artist Jonathon Keats’ failed 2003 attempt to put the law of identity on Berkeley’s legal books, or his experiment to grow a deity in a petri dish, or maybe his creation of the first ever porno for plants.

Now he’s planning on opening the Atheon—a “temple of science” which is meant to bring spiritual satisfaction through scientific knowledge—here in Berkeley. However, you shouldn’t confuse this type of science “worship” with other religions that are phonetically similar: The whole idea is, after all, an art exhibit.

But why in the name of science would someone attempt to merge spirituality and rationality like this? Because apparently, stained glass—something essential to religion—is perfect for representing the universe’s early cosmological history.

Keats also has the scientific equivalent of some religiously inspired music: A song called “Why Is There Something Rather Than Nothing?” can be heard by cell phone during the exhibit’s duration.

The Atheon project can be seen on the outside (since the building will still be under construction) from Sept. 27 through Feb. 1 at 2222 Harold Way.

Image Source: fdecomite under Creative Commons
Questions for the Temple of Science [Wired]
The Atheon, a “Temple of Science,” coming to Berkeley [Valleywag]
A temple for the worship of science [NewScientist]

adfadsf said:
Sep 11, 2008 at 7:45 am

that picture is nice.

tom said:

i would rather die than accept “god”, he is a made up, multi thousand year old dick that has given nothing but false beleif to the billions of people that see to him. Unfortunatly he is so powerful people are willing to kill themselves in his name……. wtf?!

Courtney said:
Jan 29, 2009 at 8:56 am

I agree with you 100%. There is no better way to describe my feelings for “God”. Why can and why do people believe something like this. Science is the real creator of us, the earth the surroundings around us. People who want to spend time worshiping this “God” have not yet opened their eyes. They have not yet realized that believing in god is the same as believing in the Easter Bunny!!! There is no point, “GOD” doesn’t exist.
I always ask people if they believe in god. If they say yes, I then ask them if they believe in magic, if they say no, I say WTF!! To me they would be the same thing!

carrassi said:
Jan 29, 2009 at 10:01 am

have either of you ever talked to a devout christian that way? i guess i should remember that this is the internet where being condescending is often confused with being confident and smart, and the people behind their keyboards aren’t usually as arrogant and misguided as they want to be in real life.

surely even if you cannot bring yourself to believe in god, then you can very well empathize with those who do. comparing god to the easter bunny is about as mature as evangelicals claiming homosexuality is a mortal sin and has comparable effects on both believers and homosexuals. that is, it makes you feel like shit and feel spite towards the other person, and ruins all possibility of decent and mature dialogue between otherwise opposing groups. what did you hope to achieve by saying god is magic? “wow! i never thought of it that way… surely you are correct, i’ll now rearrange my entire life to accommodate your rude and asinine comparisons!”

i’ve never understood the apparently human desire to displace other people from their beliefs; both sides are guilty, and all it serves to do is fuel a long established feud between “believers” and “rationalists.” good job.

alice said:

In my own personal opinion (and you ain’t gonna like it):

All religion is a hoax.
Proof that all religion is a hoax is very easy to come by.
Proof that religion is real, doesn’t exist.
Religion is the devil itself; dividing humanity and causing war and spreading hate.
Those who do believe, I believe, are brainwashed. Completely not their fault.

But basically, science is evolution & always has been, and there is extraordinary proof of this.

Think about it: Were Adam and Eve married before they did the dirty? Err…no? Enough said.

Congrats to those who believe in religion, I truly believe it gives people hope. But, empathize with them? What for? People hate me because I believe in science. Why do they hate me? Because they believe in their religion. That nicely brings me back to my point: religion = division & hate.

I rest my case.

Bogdan said:

I disagree with Alice,
People wage wars for resources and always have been, whether that be land, water, fossil fuels or “processed” riches like gold, silver and other kinds loot. Did I mention captives and slave labor?
Hate is largely caused by having been attacked or being brainwashed / pumped-up in order to attack someone. Leaders start wars and get common people hate and kill each other, and that most often is done in the name of God/gods, never mind that it could be quite contrary to the letter and intent of the religion used (misused).
Fear of the unknown also makes you hate the “unknown”, that is other cultures and nations, so hate is caused by ignorance.

Most world religions spread the message of love, moral laws that are very beneficial for the society. Please familiarize yourself with these writings.

As far as comparing religious beliefs to magic and Easter bunnies – you can grossly oversimplify any concept and make it laughable and both religious people and atheists are guilty of that.
Not recognizing the allegories in let’s say Bible and going with the literal interpretation will get you there. Remember the model of the solar system from school science class? If you were to literally understand that planers rotate around the sun on a thick wire axles that would be pretty dumb, wouldn’t it?

-Agnos-theist

UCB Mech E said:

Carrassi, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Tom and courtney might never be expected to become believers but they sure as hell could use some nuance in their thoughts about religion.

Panama said:

The people who believe in god or anything else are brain washed. They just want something to believe in. I believe in science mom not no make believe god.comets, atoms and other maters made us.

Seth said:

So true. I cant help but laugh at the fact that people fall for this shit. I was 15 when I first realized it was all bull shit. And it’s only grown stronger over the years.

Seth said:

It feels like I broke free from a cycle that the world is in. People don’t like it but I sure as hell am happy.

Stephanie said:

John 1:1(kjv) “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”
John 1:14 (kjv)
“The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.”
First of all, it’s not about religion, its about truth. The bible is the oldest book known to man with the oldest history, dating back to the first human beings to ever walk the earth, but you refuse to believe in what it says and who it represents because of science. Christianity is not religion but having a relationship with him. Yes religion does divide, but GOD isn’t a religion. “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast.” (Ephesians 2:8,9).

People have been searching for God in storms and earthquakes. For thousands of years, religious leaders and philosophers have tried to discern God’s face in rules, rituals, and regulations. Today the tools of our search have names like Science and Reason and Logic, but what we’re looking for is the same thing that mystics and madmen and everyday people wanted: we want to know who God is, and where we stand with him. If you didn’t you wouldn’t try so hard to disprove him.

If you would read the bible and try to understand the bible history books and the bible coincide each other. Yes the bible was written by men inspired by God. If you would read the bible you would see many prophecies have come to pass, some are happening now, and there will be more to come. I for sure do not want to be on this earth to witness it. You believe in scientists and their predictions? And what proof are they going by?

Believing in God takes faith, and faith is believing with out seeing. I know God is real. He is compassion, happiness, and peace. He is faithful and truthful. He is also forgiving, but most of all he is love. He is everything good in the world.

I love GOD so much and I am not ashamed to say it.
Everyone in this world are searching for something to fill the emptiness in their lives, hearts, spirits etc. Lots of people turn to drugs, alcohol, sports, entertainment, etc. But are they truly happy. They feel incomplete, that’s because God placed a hunger in all our hearts and souls and he is the only one that can satisfy, but he gives us the choice to serve him because he loves us that much.

Heaven and Hell are very real. I know where I want to be for eternity, and I wouldn’t take a chance on missing out on heaven.
Revelation 20:15 (kjv)
“And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire”

Ultimate Xrumer Mods Pack said:

Admiring the time and effort you put into your web site and in depth details you present. It’s very good to come across a weblog every once in a whilst that isn’t exactly the same old rehashed details. Amazing read! I’ve bookmarked your website and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

Dudley Theos said:

Hi!
I’m very fascinatedby your interesting site Will definitely come back to your site again.
Lord bless yahoo for pointing me here.

Eliasz Rutkowski said: