DO NOT WANTThe Bay Area–and Berkeley in particular with its Chez Panisse family–is food Mecca, so why is Panda Express about to move into a new Lower Sproul spot?

Apparently, you wanted this, students. (We do not remember voting for such a beast.) According to a survey from spring 2007, 60 percent of students polled were in favor of greasy chain Chinese fast food. Woo, yeah, go (panda) bears?

ASUC Senator Christina Oatfield recently authored a bill in opposition to Panda Express opening an on-campus location, but that’s a shot in the dark. You see, it’s about the money. About $500,000 of it, steered toward renovating the student union.

So much for Brazil Cafe. That sassy shack certainly couldn’t dish out the type of dough Panda Express is offering. We guess we’ll just have to cry in our bowl of chow mein. Meanwhile, let’s see if the powers-that-be can actually do anything about the Lower Sproul/student union conundrum of doldrums that has plagued the campus for so long.

Image Source: celikins under Creative Commons
Panda Express Moves Forward with Proposed Lower Sproul Branch [Daily Cal]
Earlier: Brazil Cafe May Open New Location on Lower Sproul

crastinator said:

but isn’t panda express an improvement on everything there besides cheese and stuff?

Frank said:

Panda Express is only a fingernail less disgusting than Arby’s

adfadsf said:

panda bears….

or panda marsupials??

dun dun dun…

adfadsf said:

whoops. i guess they are more bear than marsupial.

oh well.

at least the mascot is cute.

i’d rather still eat from that place across from cafe durant though. i guess panda express is good for americanized chinese food though, because chinese restaurants generally suck at american-chinese dishes.

Pak Tam said:

I am seaching for some idea to write in my blog… somehow come to your blog. best of luck. Pak Tam

Sarah said:

Before we jump to conclusion, we should seriously consider the benefits of having this particular Panda Express on campus — for the record, they are willing to address all our concerns regarding sustainability and are even willing to renovate the space using their own money. Not to mention, they will have healthy food options and will generate revenue, which can only work in favor of the students.

BTW, the stores operations board is currently working on bringing brazil cafe to campus, so no need to fret just yet :)

Spencer Doyle said:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say Brazil Cafe is any less greasy than Panda Express. But wake up ASUC! Of course this is all about the money–just like everything else that “requires” your approval. It would behoove the idiots elected to represent Cal students to study up on basic economics, otherwise known as common sense. Incidentally, I don’t recall voting on Brazil Cafe, either.

reno said:

I think sarah there has it somewhat right. The problem is that the location is a dank hole. If they renovated that space and opened it up, something like free speech cafe, extended the hours, had some live jazz like cheeseboard-students will play for free- outdoor lighting, place would be bangin meng.

yaman said:

The place needs renovation. But Panda Express is not going to be the next hip spot on campus. Maybe another FSM, maybe a Brazil Cafe–anything that doesn’t look like it was borrowed from a Danville shopping center.

These were all plans that were organized by the ASUC Auxiliary, which is the institution that the University hoisted onto a reckless ASUC in 1998 to get more effective control over the student government, which is supposed to be autonomous. But even since then the Auxiliary has been creeping more and more into taking away autonomy and power from the ASUC and from students and putting it back into the Administration’s hands. The Bear’s Lair and Naia Lounge by the way are both student-owned properties– the ASUC owns it!

Basically, the Auxiliary director will come up with an idea, will enter into negotiations, and then will present it to the Store Operations Board and make the students present look bad/guilty if they vote against it. The SOB is 6 students (4 undergrad including pres & evp and 2 grad) and 5 University faculty/staff. At first glance it looks like a student majority, but it basically means that one student agreeing with the administration puts the administration in control.

So the Auxiliary, led by Nadesan Permaul, basically makes its super-cool plans that are going to make somebody’s resume at the Auxiliary look good, and then does whatever it can to force student representatives to go along. It’s important for students and student press like the Clog and Daily Cal to shed more light on this process in order to re-assure student representatives against this plan that students support them.

Agnieszka said:

all of our concerns regarding sustainability? what are they going to source all of their produce from the Berkeley farmers’ market or something? I wouldn’t trust a large fast food chain to do anything of the sort.

Panda said:

It’s about time the Panda hits the run-down Berkeley campus.

Panda will cater to all ur Chinese needs. Try the delicious orange chicken. What’s better than orange chicken? More orange chicken.

F*** u A**holes who are anti panda.

Pandas are endangered species and here’s the citation to prove it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Panda

Now if u blockheads try to appose it, think about it this way:

“The Giant Panda has been a target for poaching by locals since ancient times, and by foreigners since it was introduced to the West.”

Why u trying to poach the Panda?

Now u anti panda express losers need to think of something better to do instead of try to be a hipster psuedo-hippy.

By the way, the author is needs to consider that not everyone can afford chez-panisse and ur hipster attitude is killing Pandas worldwide.

So all u b*tches who are anti-panda express, get a life or go back to ur hipster fagfest cheezboard and stop thinking ur politically correct and better than everyone else for not respecting the Panda.

-The Panda Express Panda.

psycho panda said:

F*CK YEA! i <3 panda. come to SFSU!

Bola Tangkas said:

It is extremely helpful for me.Amazing post and everyone has submit their mature views regarding this,I very interested in the article,people pay more attention to high quality life style.

this said:

You’re really a excellent webmaster. The site loading pace is amazing. It kind of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a excellent job in this subject!

allen samuel said:

Respect to article author.

Tymoteusz Sokołowski said:

feather earrings trend said:

Many thanks for an incredible put up, would examine your particular others posts. many thanks for your ideas within this, I experienced a trifle struck by this short article. Thanks again again! You wanna make a great time. Portrays natures best by the great info here. I do think if a greater number of people considered it doing this, they’d have a very better time period get the hang ofing the difficulty.

echte said:

Eine Kollegin scherzte und meinte, dass sie trotzdem auch mal gerne mit ihm duschen gehen würde.

yediiklim said:

Excellent blog right here! Also your website a lot up very fast! What web host are you using? Can I am getting your associate link in your host? I wish my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

zdjęcia ślubne said:

Hi there! Quick question that’s totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when viewing from my iphone4. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to resolve this issue. If you have any recommendations, please share. Cheers!

Air Jordan Shoes On Sale said:

This is aMulberry salehow perfect the article after my serious reading, Cheap Mulberry handbagsfeel at once that a lot of things to thank the master of the Mulberry handbags sale blog

top 40 said:

My husband and i felt very peaceful that John could do his investigation with the precious recommendations he had from your own blog. It is now and again perplexing to just happen to be freely giving tips and hints that many people have been trying to sell. And now we remember we have the website owner to appreciate for that. The type of illustrations you made, the simple web site menu, the friendships you assist to create – it’s most overwhelming, and it is facilitating our son in addition to us reckon that the matter is amusing, and that is extremely mandatory. Many thanks for all!

aranżacja wnętrz said:
Sep 26, 2012 at 2:12 am

Thank you for this entry, looking forward to next one. Best regards from Poland!