As promised, the Clog is giving you the low-down on a preview of the kick-off for massive fund raising effort for Cal football.

Cal dreams of expanding the school’s $50 million sports endowment to a whopping $1 billion in the next 30 years. Criminy. Before you start creating your “1,000,000 strong for keeping UC fees down” Facebook groups, worry not–Cal plans to hit up the wealthiest among us as their first step to big, fat checks. And what faster way towards $1 billion than a little piece of property in the Cal stadium? We’re talking individual seats for up to $225,000 each. As usual, these monied football fans’ first-class section includes complimentary food, parking (a privelege for which most Berkeleyans would give up their first-born) and lounge access.

With the Endowment Seating Program, rather than purching annual tickets, buyers will have ownership of their seat for 30 years. If these aging (to put it mildly) folks don’t anticipate living that long, they actually have the option of “endowing” their seat to their favorite suck-up grandkid. From a more capitalist perspective, buyers will also be allowed to sell their seat, much like a piece of property or stock.

We suppose that if nothing else, these seats will be worth its market value for its protection against the California elements: 80-some degree summers, light rain and the Hayward faultline. Sorry, peons of the student section, continue to read up on Memorial Stadium evacuation procedure.

Image Source: Dawn Endico under Creative Commons
Cal kicks off $250M football fundraising drive [SF Business Times]

John said:

People get pissed when the athletics on this campus is a “drain” on the overall campus resources, but then they get pissed when they try to raise their own dough.

I’d much rather have private fundraising efforts and the football fans themselves pay for stadium improvements than the state of California.

The classism here is kind of astonishing. Rich alums are automatically bad. Give me a break.

pokemon diamond rom said:

Very interesting, I never look at it that way before :D .

Franchesca Bottenfield said:

I like a lot of information in your article. I am expectingto your new articles, they will definitely benefit a lot of newbies like myself! many thanks!

kameralı sohbet said:

hey there and thank you for your information – I’ve definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical points using this site, since I experienced to reload the site lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and can damage your high-quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much more of your respective fascinating content. Ensure that you update this again soon..