It’s seen two World Wars, the Great Depression, the Cold War, the Counterculture Revolution, the Free Speech Movement, the rise and mental breakdown of Britney Spears and now it will witness its own mutilation, er, restoration. Sather Gate is gettin’ pretty-ful for its 100th birthday, and at 98, we think it looked pretty damn fine for its age. But after reports of the gate “wobbling disturbingly” in 2007 when the UC Rally Committee tried to decorate it, the gate has been forced to join the legions of Hollywood celebrities who have chosen to turn to reconstructive surgery.

If you’ve ever watched “Extreme Makeover” or “The Swan,” (God, we’re getting old) then you know that the gate is in that in-between stage when the patient’s nose is blue and their lips are stitched and puffy, and in the end it will all be worth it.

But as of right now, Sather gate is just an eyesore obstructing the flow of student traffic from Sproul to campus. And if you’re pissed because you sometimes can’t walk through the center of the gate like the notorious protesters of Berkeley’s past, it’s about to get a whole lot worse.

By Thanksgiving, only the gate’s four granite pillars will be left. We shudder at the thought of seeing our favorite hunk of bronze all naked and skeletal.

Image Source: Ruby Lee
Iconic Sather Gate to be Restored to its Former Majesty [Berkeley News Center]

adfadsf said:

but when the middle part opens up, usually around late afternoon/night, it’s fun to walk through the strange black and wooden temp structure.

i kinda like it. except the squeezing-through-those-two-tiny-gates-at-lunch-time thing.