Last week, Chancellor Robert Birgeneau issued a letter skirting around the icky-ness of Proposition 8. But some students aren’t so happy about the chancellor meddling in such affairs.

If passed, the proposition would eliminate the right to marry for same-sex couples and, as Birgeneau argued, would undermine Berkeley principles. Birgeneau did not outright stump against the proposition, but he concluded his letter with:

Although you must judge for yourselves how to vote, as you consider your ballot on November 4, 2008, I would urge you to take into account the impacts that passage of Proposition 8 would have on our campus community.

Today’s Daily Cal article speaks to the response Birgeneau’s letter received, specifically of its opponents … who weigh in at one person?

Josh Curtis, president of Berkeley College Republicans, represented the angered side. He argued:

Centers of learning should be places for learning … schools should teach not what to do when it comes to politics, but it should provide the tools for students to figure it out.

And keep your damn inclusive policies out of my backyard!

Image Source: crimfants under Creative Commons
Chancellor Speaks Out On Divisive Proposition [Daily Cal]
Chancellor Birgeneau informs campus of likely impacts of Proposition 8 [NewsCenter]
Earlier: Breaking News: Universities Love to Attract Top Faculty, San Francisco Supports Equality

Josh Curtis said:

Hi there. I would like to respond to the manner in which my quote has been applied and the lack of context–and in fact, the addition of false context–which was added to it.

To begin with: This post falsely assumes that I was somehow “angered” by the Chancellor’s decision to promote the anti-prop 8 campaign. This is far from the case. I am not easily moved to anger, and certainly a university official making a political statement about one issue on behalf of the university is neither offensive to me nor anger-inducing. It is merely an inappropriate realm for the Chancellor to tread.

If you had read the context of my quote, you would have discovered that I in fact do not think that Chancellor Birgeneau’s statement arguing against Proposition 8 will have any discernible effect on how UC Berkeley students vote on Proposition 8. Therefore, Chancellor Birgeneau’s statement does not matter much to me at all–except for the fact that I believe he oversteps his bounds when he attempts to tell the UC Berkeley community how to vote on a politically sensitive issue. I would be equally opposed to Mr. Birgeneau’s statement if it were for Prop 8 or against Prop 8, for Prop 11 or against Prop 11, or any other proposition for that matter. As a matter of principle, I believe that the university officials representing us should try to stay out of politics and focus on their mission at hand: to educate the future leaders of the world, not tell them how to vote.

I do not normally comment on blogs or anything of the like, but after spotting this egregious error, I deemed it appropriate to correct the false assumptions of this post. Thank you for your time, and I would greatly appreciate it if you were to revise your particular remarks I have outlined to reflect the truth.

Manny said:

A public official speaking out on a public matter is more than appropriate. Are they supposed to just be robots that cant voice their opinion on important policy matters?

Beetle said:

I think Manny is probably the last person to talk about public officials overstepping their bounds, but as a government agent, Bob 2.0 has a responsibility to protect the democratic system by not using the apparatus of government to take sides in an election.

Brock said:

“I do not normally comment on blogs or anything of the like…”

hahahahahahhaUNBH(& Ht5r4t2 4y65 r..

Blobber said:

“Bob 2.0 has a responsibility to protect the democratic system by not using the apparatus of government to take sides in an election.”

Well Barry is definitely a part of the apparatus of government( Capital Hill) I say we ban him immediately and disqualify him from the election, he does not want democracy, but Marxism.

“A public official speaking out on a public matter is more than appropriate.”

Legal is legal. Let him go with his heart.

Elsie Klancnik said:
May 14, 2011 at 12:00 am

I am always interested in taking a look at things from both sides and comparing to my own perspective. I guess I must be addicted to the internet because I spend way to much time with my browser, searching for ways to make money, checking the weather (of course), keeping in touch on Facebook, etc. On one of the forums that I visit, I found a system and some software that can change things up quite a bit. There isn’t anything too complicated about it. You don’t need a website or really any previous experience. I think it is all pretty much spelled out for you. The software works very well for me and I am sure that it could work great for you as well. You can even get it at a discount price by following these instructions. When you go to the sales page listed below, don’t order from that page. Instead, just close the window and it will try to make you stay for a different offer. I think is does that 1 or 2 times before you get to the page that offers the discount! (Just keep hitting ‘cancel’ until you get the discount page). Here is how the package is advertised: The Instant Cash Empire money making system is for people who are looking for an easier way to make money online. Get push button cash sites in just 2 minutes! It not only generates a network of websites for you, but it will also give your network of sites ALL the traffic they could possibly ever need. The software will get your newly created, push button cash websites free traffic. When you join, you will receive instant access to an automated software that will create your very own “instant cash empire” web network of sites working for you 24/7 to generate cash even while you sleep. With Instant Cash Empire you do not need to master every technical skill before you are able to see REAL results. So if you are looking for a way to make money online and you are all for automation, or you just don’t want to have to create your money websites yourself, or you don’t want to take the time or spend the money to get traffic to your websites, you might want to check out the Instant Cash Empire push button method for generating income. Go ahead and check it out: http://adf.ly/1WGoX

hello there and thanks in your info – I have certainly picked up anything new from right here. I did alternatively experience several technical issues the usage of this web site, as I skilled to reload the website a lot of instances previous to I may get it to load properly. I had been brooding about in case your web host is OK? Now not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances occasions will sometimes impact your placement in google and can damage your high-quality score if advertising and ***********|advertising|advertising|advertising and *********** with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and could glance out for a lot extra of your respective intriguing content. Ensure that you update this again soon..