After discovering the latest omen of the world’s coming demise, the Clog encourages Berkeley students to put down their books and enjoy their short-lived time on earth.

One day ahead of Halloween and four ahead of the biggest, bestest, most exciting election ever, celebrators are hanging up effigies of Sarah Palin and Barack Obama–literally. In Los Angeles, a homeowner who trussed up a mannequin of Palin in a noose had to take the effigy down after people mobbed his house and erected large sheets to block out the sight. It’s no surprise that flaunting that kind of political statement is liable to get you variously protested, abused, cursed at and surreptitiously peed upon, but this guy not only endured all of the above. He also got paid a visit by the U.S. Secret Service.

That’s pretty intense, but effigies of Obama have turned up repeatedly too, and they’re nastier by a yard and a half. A lynched effigy of the Democratic presidential candidate was taken down in Redondo Beach yesterday after police convinced the woman who put it up that maybe she should, before she got firebombed or something. Lisa Castaneda, the homeowner in question, had hung up a figure of Obama by his necktie, covered his jacket in fake blood and scrawled “Nobama” on a sign as a part of her Halloween display. The figure also had a meat cleaver stuck in his throat.

“I disapprove of him, period,” she said. “I am appalled by a man who is so close to being our president who won’t put his hand on the Bible, who won’t wear a flag pin.”

We know both sides still have half a week to get their jabs in, but these antics are making us queasy and, quite frankly, pretty depressed that crap like this still happens. Can the 4th just get here already, please?

Image Source: laughingsquid under Creative Commons
Palin effigy removed from US home after protests [Reuters]