As student post-election jubilation flooded the streets of Berkeley, the nation celebrated the end of the Bush era, the election of our first African-American president and the purchase of Sarah Palin’s flight back to Alaska. But with the passage of Prop 8, California voters learned that while civil rights may be taking a great leap forward on the national front, it’s also taken a step back statewide.

The proposition which will ban gay marriage was passed with a 52% vote yesterday, effectively limiting a constitutional right and leading many to call for a succession of NorCal from the rest of the California. (OK, we made that last part up.)

Although the rest of the state may not agree with us, we can take solace in the fact that the proposition was rejected by 61.9 percent of Alameda County voters and that San Francisco mayor, Gavin Newsom’s anti-Prop 8 rallying in Berkeley apparently had a positive affect on student voters. Now the fate of the over 18,000 marriage licenses issued to gay couples over the last five months lies in question. Retroactive constitutional amendment? That’s pretty low.

Earlier: SF Mayor Newsom Will Grace Steps of Sproul to Defeat Prop 8

Image Source: brainchildvn under Creative Commons
After Prop 8, Future of Gay Marriages Unclear [Daily Cal]

dumb adn dumber said:

as far as Washington D.C. is concerned, the city of Berkeley had already made a defacto succession decades ago. Shhhh! don’t tell anyone.