The Big Game weekend’s almost here, with bonfire revelers at the Greek Theater scheduled to start torching at 7 p.m. tomorrow night.  The UC Rally Committee–Berkeley’s oldest student organization and protector of thy holy university traditions since 1901–held a Stanford tree whackathon on Sproul Plaza yesterday, wherein they cut logs subtly painted over with blaring red Stanford logos to teensy pieces.  Sledgehammer symbolism, anyone?

For those of you who missed the melee, pictures follow after the cut.

The family, after a hearty day’s work.

Image Source: Katie Strausser

adfadsf said:

some things i just don’t understand.

well, i understand it’s for bolstering school spirit and all, but still, overall i just don’t get ‘it’. what does cutting a log like that accomplish?

this is another case that reflects my opinion on bowling. what’s the point if the pins just keep coming back up? i get it’s because it’s a game, but still…

oh people.

someguy said:
Nov 22, 2008 at 12:46 am

I thought you all just sat in trees in Berkely?

Forester said:
Nov 23, 2008 at 12:42 am

Rally Comm helped to organize the event. The actual chopping/bucking/chainsawing was done by members of the Cal Logging Sports Team, who are connected with the Cal Forestry Club.

Bruce said:

adfadsf, you sound like a major idiot. Cutting a log or tree signifies the cutting of the Standford tree. (It’s like chopping down the Standford tee and by the way bowling is fun.) You’re such a dumb ass!!!

Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation; we have developed some nice methods and we are looking to trade solutions with others, why not shoot me an email if interested.