After discovering the latest omen of the world’s coming demise, the Clog encourages Berkeley students to put down their books and enjoy their short-lived time on earth.

Zut alors! Even the French are feeling the sting of the declining economy and slim trans-Atlantic wallets. With an average of two cafes closing everyday, France shows that the U.S. isn’t the only one sweating finances.

Want more numbers? In 1960, France teemed with 200,000 cafes. Compare that to today’s less-than 41,500–and diminishing. Merde, indeed.

Small businesses are suffering, but the shrinking numbers also show a culture at risk. What is the Frenchman without his beret, baguette, cafe and cigarette? (Oh, and wine and cheese and an official Federation of Cafes, Brasseries and Discotheques.) Not much, apparently:

The cafe, (Daniel Perrey, owner of the Cafe du Crucifix) said, is a kind of public living room, especially in small towns and cities, and it is suffering as habits and laws change.

“We need the cafe to have an equilibrium between the village and the world outside,” Mr. Perrey said. “Without the cafe, you lose the conviviality. You lose your mates. Business agreements are made behind the zinc of the bar.’

Well, there goes their joie de vivre. Not only are their cafes closing, but soon the French won’t even be able to smoke with their cafes au lait. Quel horreur!

Image Source: akahodag under Creative Commons
Across France, Cafe Owners Are Suffering [NY Times]
via Eater SF
Earlier: ‘Rambo’ General Becomes ‘Dancing Queen’

RickyBobby said:

Kind of a stretch relating this to Cal, no?

Daily Cal Blog Gives Its Two Cents- Whether You Like It or Not « College Media Matters said:

[...] headlines of a few recent posts really say it all: “This Week’s International Sign of the Apocalypse: French Cafes Get the Guillotine“; “How To: Eek! Get Ready for Finals” and “Symposium Scheduled on Whether [...]

locksmith in indianapolis said:
Feb 14, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I do not even understand how I stopped up right here, but I believed this post used to be great. I do not know who you might be however definitely you’re going to a well-known blogger for those who are not already. Cheers!

agencja ochrony said:
Feb 15, 2012 at 10:27 am

I�m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that�s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.