Following in the footsteps of the film “A Day Without a Mexican” and the 2006 “A Day Without Immigrants” protest against criminalization of illegal immigrants, proponents of the movement to overturn Prop 8 are asking members of the LGBTQ community to do something about the November passage of the proposition that banned gay marriage in California by doing nothing.

OK, so obviously it’s a little more complicated than that. Participants of the “Day Without a Gay” protest are asked to call into work “gay” and abstain from buying anything, using the Internet or cell phones, watching TV or in any way contributing to the straightness of our economy. The boycott aims to give the economy a metaphorical kick in the ass and show just how much gays are worth to California–literally.

Scheduled for Dec. 10, the “rainbow flu,” as one newspaper put it in an oh-so-un-P.C. fashion, also conveniently falls on International Human Rights Day, so participants in the movement are encouraged to not just stay home and hold onto their wallets, but also go out and do something nice for someone by volunteering. A rally and march sponsored by BAMN(of course) are also scheduled to take place at noon on Sproul and a rally at Berkeley’s City Hall at 1:30 p.m.

Image Source: brainchildvn under Creative Commons
Day Without a Gay [Web site]
BAMN Rally and March [Web site]
Earlier: Election Brings Change, Not All of it For the Better