3090995988_c02cc801eeWhile the rest of you were sleeping for 11 hours a day with visions of sugarplums dancing or something, and gaining the “Holiday 15″ with all that filler gift candy and food you just kept stuffing into your mouth to avoid talking to your relatives, the ASUC Judicial Council was busy deciding on recall procedures and the Daily Cal was busy reporting on it … and we were busy plotting our witty quips to use in writing about it. Bah humbug.

Although ASUC was toying with the idea of online voting to reduce the costs of its January recall election of John Moghtader, the Judicial Council decided to deliver a little lump of coal, issuing a ruling on Christmas Eve mandating that the election must follow the same procedures as regular elections. Looks like the ASUC’s gonna have to shell out the usual $48,000 for this election. Economic crisis anyone?

But alas, there might be a little gift from Santa after all. The Alameda County District Attorney announced that there will be no charges filed against those involved in the infamous Nov. 13 Eshleman Hall scuffle. We’d say that’s a better gift than that scented candle you probably got from your mom.

Image Source: seamusiv under Creative Commons
No Charges to Be Filed Following Fight in Eshleman [Daily Cal]

student said:
Jan 7, 2009 at 2:29 pm

This is retarded. The senator should just step down to save 48,000.

Calserve is to Blame said:
Jan 7, 2009 at 4:18 pm

The recall supporters should withdraw their petition. It isn’t worth spending $48,000 to recall an innocent man.

suutoo said:
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:46 pm

So these students have to pay higher tuition fees for Palestinian cry babies at Cal. Good grief.

Police say that he is not at fault, and the Cal student union claim he is by false connect the accusation dots. What are these kiddies, retards? Berkeley sure lowered its standards. There used to be smart students who were selected. Now they select the bottom of the evolutionary chain.

alumni said:
Jan 8, 2009 at 2:29 am

This guy is an embarassment. Do everyone a favor and step down.

Question? said:
Jan 9, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Why should Moghtader step down if he’s innocent?

STudent said:
Jan 18, 2009 at 12:15 am

Even if he is innocent, saving 48k is probably more beneficial than whatever good* he would do in the senate.

*Assuming that the senate actually does “good”

another student said:
Jan 19, 2009 at 12:52 am

This entire ridiculous ‘controversy’ is why 90 percent of the school thinks everything ASUC related is pointless. I wish everybody on both sides would stop their trivial slap-fighting and move on to something even remotely important.

This isn’t Israel, this isn’t Palestine, and just because a handful of ASUC meatheads with inflated senses of self-importance have rooting interests in that conflict doesn’t mean the rest of the school should have to put up with this shit. Why can’t you people act like adults?

/rant

Question? said:
Jan 20, 2009 at 1:09 am

Student, if this were you, I’d think you wouldn’t step down. Moghtader is innocent of all charges and he’s not going to let radicals intimidate him from his seat. He got a lot of votes. They didn’t. They need to get over themselves. Withdrawing the recall petition would save $48,000 and Moghtader’s seat: a win-win for the ASUC.

Beetle said:
Jan 20, 2009 at 2:17 am

Withdrawing the petition is probably unconstitutional.

I am now not certain the place you’re getting your info, however good topic. I must spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thank you for excellent information I used to be in search of this information for my mission.